Orville made in Korea

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I know they were all MIJ.

I do remember reading an article stating that some people mistakenly thought that Orvilles with the serial number beginning with K claimed that they were Korean made where in fact K in the serial number denotes Terada made Orvilles and ObGs...

This might be where the confusion stems from...

Johny642000 said:
As far as I know they were all MIJ.

I do remember reading an article stating that some people mistakenly thought that Orvilles with the serial number beginning with K claimed that they were Korean made where in fact K in the serial number denotes Terada made Orvilles and ObGs...

This might be where the confusion stems from...

Yeah, I have read that article as well.
However, I have never seen a K-Orville that doesn't have Terada traits.

Sigmania said:
It has none since the sticker has been removed.

Sticker? Is it a hollowbody?

No, Terada made LPs and SGs from Terada sometimes have a sticker with a serial number instead of having the serial inked onto the headstock

"The lower priced (K) Orville guitars which were priced at 75,000 Yen and below were not given serial numbers by Terada. Serial numbers are not always essential when only one guitar factory is making all of the guitars, as the distributor (Yamano Gakki) knows exactly which guitar factory made the guitar even when the guitar has no identifiable guitar factory serial number. As Terada were the only guitar factory making all of the Orville guitars between 1989 and 1993, they did not need to serialize the (K) Orville guitars which were made more for the first time or intermediate player market."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orville_by_Gibson

Back