Neck shape of a Les Paul 59R versus Custom models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joop

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the neck shape of the Custom models differ from the 59R models?

I would like to know this for Orville by Gibsons and Tokais as well (old models up to let's say 1983).

I have owned ObG 59R's and a LS100 Reborn so I know that neck shape but have never owned a custom model, apart from a Gibson Custom Shop '68 Custom Reisue and I found that neck shape (rounder and thicker) not my favourite. I prefer the C shape neck of the 59R's.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Greetz,

Joop

Joop said:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the neck shape of the Custom models differ from the 59R models?

I would like to know this for Orville by Gibsons and Tokais as well (old models up to let's say 1983).

I have owned ObG 59R's and a LS100 Reborn so I know that neck shape but have never owned a custom model, apart from a Gibson Custom Shop '68 Custom Reisue and I found that neck shape (rounder and thicker) not my favourite. I prefer the C shape neck of the 59R's.

Greetz,

Joop

As far as OBGs go, I've got 11 LP59R's (92's-95's, yes they started making them in '92 despite what anyone says) and they all have chunky necks (which I really like) -- some some a little thicker than others. I've got 7 or 8 OBG LPC's and a couple of them have chunkier necks than the others--don't know why but the 89's and 92's are thicker that the 90's and 91's.

My experience is that -- with the ton of OBG's I have:
https://sites.google.com/site/innadazeskybluela/home
http://innadaze.blogspot.com/2009/07/some-of-innadaze-obgs.html
-- for the most part, the neck shapes of the standard OBG LPS's (non-PAFs, non-FB, but still **** nice playing, sounding and well-built guitars), from the early years through the entire '88-'95 run of OBG production kind of mirrored the '57-'60 years of the original LP's. By that, I mean the necks were all over the map, thick one year, thinner the next, slightly thinner the next, then thick and then thin again.

I used to think it had something to do with the variances between being made at Terada or Fujigen (of which there are some tangible differences - not necessarily better or worse - just different) but even those made in the same factory have differences depending on which years they were produced.

Let me know which particular model of what year you are referring to and I'll tell what the neck (or anything else) is like on the one I have.

Innadaze said:
Joop said:
Hi,

Greetz,

Joop

As far as OBGs go, I've got 11 LP59R's (92's-95's, yes they started making them in '92 despite what anyone says) and they all have chunky necks (which I really like) -- some some a little thicker than others. I've got 7 or 8 OBG LPC's and a couple of them have chunkier necks than the others--don't know why but the 89's and 92's are thicker that the 90's and 91's.

My experience is that -- with the ton of OBG's I have:
https://sites.google.com/site/innadazeskybluela/home
http://innadaze.blogspot.com/2009/07/some-of-innadaze-obgs.html
-- for the most part, the neck shapes of the standard OBG LPS's (non-PAFs, non-FB, but still **** nice playing, sounding and well-built guitars), from the early years through the entire '88-'95 run of OBG production kind of mirrored the '57-'60 years of the original LP's. By that, I mean the necks were all over the map, thick one year, thinner the next, slightly thinner the next, then thick and then thin again.

I used to think it had something to do with the variances between being made at Terada or Fujigen (of which there are some tangible differences - not necessarily better or worse - just different) but even those made in the same factory have differences depending on which years they were produced.

Let me know which particular model of what year you are referring to and I'll tell what the neck (or anything else) is like on the one I have.

Hi Innadaze,

Of course, should have thought of you as the expert! I have seen your stunning collection of ObG's. It is strange therefore that I happen to have had 1 fujigen 1996 Orville, 1 terrada 1992 ObG, 1 fujigen 1994 ObG and 1 Tokai LS100 Reborn from 1979 and they all had the same neck profile, which I think people refer to as C shape, rather than D shape which would mean that the neck has more meat towards the palm of your hand, if you know what I mean...

The unfortunate thing is that at the moment I have no particular guitar in mind, other perhaps then a 1993 Fujigen 59R ObG without pick guard holes (with the space in the serial number between the 3 and the rest) or a 1994 Fujigen LPC.
Any experience with those?

Cheers and happy Easter!

Actually, I have a '93 Fujigen 59R OBG, no PG hole and also with the space in the serial number between the 3 and the rest of the numbers...
rk-my-92-obg-fujigen-lpr.jpg

?and a '92 (not a '94) Fujigen LPC-57B OBG also with the space in the serial number between the 2 and the rest of the numbers?
rk-my-92-obg-lpcr-57b.jpg

?the necks on both, while not super huge, are chunkier than the standard OBG LPS's -- more of the 'D' shape you referred to than 'C' shaped.

CliffsComicWorld said:
Very Nice collection of OBG's !! :eek:
Thanks Dude. That means a lot to me coming from someone who has a such an
obvious appreciation for these outstanding guitars. From what I've seen,
you've amassed very impressive collection of high-end OBG's as well!

Back