New SG

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

januz

Reaction score
Just received my new Burny SG.
It?s dated to 1985-1987 by the seller.

Burny_zpsa03831c1.jpg

sg_zpse962ac10.jpg

As you might have noticed the Crown on the headstock is in not broken. The pup?s got grey cables and brass baseplates.
The pots are not these small ones that one sometimes find in MIJ guitars, but regular sized ones and the caps are brown.

Does 1985-1987 seem like a correct estimation?

hi
that is a rare one with the vibrola tremolo ....... and before 87 sounds right
a Picture of the pots and cap could help to id it more precise
all the best
otto

brokentoes said:
Way cool !! Enjoy !!

Thanks.

The guitar is very nice and it?s obvious that they used good quality wood back then as the instrument is loud and resonant acoustically.

The only thing that I don?t like - and this isn?t a big deal - is that the bridge is really high off the top, which I suppose is necessary with Vibrola equipped guitars.
It?s not uncomfortable to play but it looks a bit weird and I prefer the pickups to be as low/far into the body as possible, picking up the sound of the wood itself.

Not that crazy about the pickups, but I?ve got plenty of good sets here at home.
I?ll try a set of DiMarzio 36:th Anniverasary PAFs (aged covers) that I think will be perfect for this guitar in every respect.

Some adjustments of the neck is needed (tightening the truss rod) but apart from that the guitar is in a wonderful condition.

Ps I?ll try to take a pic of the pots later today Ds

Pics: (The Silver Mica caps - Treble bleed - on the volumes are added by me, and the orange cap - in parallel with a resistor underneath - is circuit I added in order to cut lows from the neck pu)

IMG_0143_zps7ff27e36.jpg

IMG_0144_zpsbb424372.jpg

Did my pics of the pots add any new info for dating this guitar more precisely? (Not that I doubt the "1985-1987 estimation", but it?s always a good thing to get a "2:nd opinion".)

It's been a while but here's a new pic of the guitar

New pickups (a Duncan 59 with an A4 magnet in the neck position and a Leo Sounds Growl Dog with an A2 magnet in the bridge position) + a new bridge and bridge posts.

The neck angle isn't perfect but the guitar plays and sounds just fine :)

januz said:
It's been a while but here's a new pic of the guitar

New pickups (a Duncan 59 with an A4 magnet in the neck position and a Leo Sounds Growl Dog with an A2 magnet in the bridge position) + a new bridge and bridge posts.

The neck angle isn't perfect but the guitar plays and sounds just fine :)

Looks great!

Thanks.

I've also filed the slots at the nut as the strings got caught a bit, so now I can use the tremolo again :D
(No 80's dive bombs though :wink: )

That's a beauty love the look of an SG with those tremelos, probably not too practical to keep in tune but as cool as ****.

I've a MIJ Epi SG and it's fast becoming one of my favourites, been looking at getting a Burny or Greco one too recently

Latest posts

Back