Is this really a 1980 Tokai Custom LP?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a 1980 LC-60 to me. I had one in wine red color with the same ink-stamped serial number. Apparently some of these were made in Matsumoto in Nagano prefecture rather than at the main Tokai factory in Shizuoka.

Maybe a search for "Tokai inkie" would find more.

wulfman said:
Looks like a 1980 LC-60 to me. I had one in wine red color with the same ink-stamped serial number. Apparently some of these were made in Matsumoto in Nagano prefecture rather than at the main Tokai factory in Shizuoka.

Maybe a search for "Tokai inkie" would find more.

In that case what are the specs, finish, etc.?

Hi,
I'm new to the Forum.
I bought this Tokai guitar, because after searching in this Forum I thought this guitar is okay.
It has an ink stamped serielnumber 0101... which was okay for 1980/1981. It has a one piece mahogany body, and two screws for the trussrod plate.
Well, all Information I found in this Forum, so thank y'all for your information.
What bothers me, was that there is no inlay on the headstock. I looked the catalog from 1981 and found LC without inlay on the headstock. Is that right? Is it right, that there isn't written Love Rock etc ? I found in the Forum, that the Custom models hadn't a Love Rock sign on their headstocks.
About the pick-ups and so on, we will see when the guitar has arrived
I hope I made a real deal, anyway, what matters is the sound because I'm a player not a collector.
Greetings from Germany

Are you sure that is a one piece body? I was looking at it and thought the grains were at two different angles. Will be interesting to hear once you have it in hand. Congrats!

Yes, you're right: two pieces of mahogany.
I found the post in this forum, that the knobs had to have markings => that means japanese guitar (like the 2-screwed trussrod-plate). is that right? So much details to determine a guitar :-?

HHMMM ....!
guitar is free again because seller don't answer any e-mails, no contact. So I withdrawan from the purchase.

So, I will look at another Tokai les Paul.

Cheers

Interesting. I sell alot of stuff on ebay. Just curious how you got the transaction cancelled if he did not respond?

Yes , I sell a lot of stuff on ebay,too. I bought guitars in the US with no problems at all. And I answer every e-mail a buyer wrote me.
In this case I asked him some things about shipping and he didn't answer a word. After 4 e-mails with no answer I withdrawan from the purchase. I wrote him this but again he didn't answer. I got no information from him since then.
So that's it for me. If he is a serious seller he would answer a mail from a buyer. To answer questions is good seller behaviour.

I own a genuine "Inkie", there is a rose style logo inlaid in the headstock and there is nothing at all written on the truss-rod. I have never seen a Tokai LC in anything bar Wine/White/Black. I don't think I've ever seen anything other than a wine coloured "Inkie". in fact I can't ever remember seeing any Tokai LC model in a sunburst.

From what I've seen"Inkies" also have the "snot green" classic style tuning pegs rather than, the metal finish found on many LCs.

If it's genuine, I'd suspect, it's a very unique guitar, One thing that is "right" about that guitar is the binding. Twin on the back of the body and headstock and triple on the front of the body.

Back