Unknown Talbo, any help?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravus

Reaction score
Hey folks. I just had what i consider the great fortune to find the guitar pictured below in a music store not too far from my house. I first spotted her three or four years ago, however for reasons I'm sure you'll notice pretty fast, I didn't buy her immediately.

734499_10151584443383969_1815865543_n.jpg

401_10151584443483969_1290979863_n.jpg

Clearly, that is not the guitar's original neck, and even worse than that, it's virtually unplayable. the nut is a hair too wide for the new replacement neck. To the best of my knowledge, both the locking nut, and the tuners were transplanted to this new neck (Not that I know terribly much about the tuners actually used in Talbos, or any more than the little bit I've been able to dig up on the internet in general).

Naturally, the problem I'm running into is without the neck, I have no serial number. I will say, to the best of my knowledge, the paint is original (the overspray inside the bridge cavity is green and no chips or anything show any indication of any other colors on the guitar underneath) and I'm almost certain that this was a 2 knob guitar that had a second tone and volume added to it (and if the few pictures i've found are any indication, the knobs should be thimbles and not tophats).

The closest guitars i've seen are from a 1985 catalogue ad; at least that's the first sign I've seen of Talbos in the HH configuration, and I tend to see many, many more HSS's in this configuration. Also, the badge on the lower horn reads "Talbo I", And I haven't seen any pictures with a similar badge.

If anyone here can let me know a little bit more about this guitar from what little I can tell you, I'd be both blown away, and deeply grateful. Even if she's nothing special, and the value's ruined with the lost neck, I intend to either buy a serviceable neck, or have one made to fit and make this one of my regular show-players simply because i'm absolutely in love with it's looks and feel.

Thanks in advance guys, Sorry about the grainy cell pics; I can upload higher res photos when I can borrow a DSLR.

Back