Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beat up 70s Fernandes strat - 3 to 4 bolt neck replacement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m0b1liz3
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Beat up 70s Fernandes strat - 3 to 4 bolt neck replacement? Reply with quote

So I picked up an old Fernandes FST50 (I think)

Maple neck with big headstock (and 3 bolt) with the stone logo.
The body does not have a stamp on the inside. Its a 3 piece sunburst.
It has the grey bottom pickups.
I can't tell if these are the good ones or not (the catalogues say L5 etc..) Not sure how you can pick them. There is a 3 way switch.

The neck is totally bowed and frets are looking like they need replacement. I might be able to crank on the trus rod but it is pretty bowed. The headstock looks like it was attacked with a lighter and half the logo is burnt off.

So all the parts are ok but the mega trashed neck. I was thinking replacement. When I bid on the auction I was stupid and had forgotten these had the 3 bolt pattern on the back. I think reinstalling the whole micro tilt on to a new neck is going to be too difficult. My tools are mostly back in Canada and I am in Australia now. I can buy some dowels/glue and attach a new 4 bolt neck on. I have never seen replacement Fernandes decals . Its not a highly collectable model so I am not too upset about replacing the mangled neck (unless I am mistaken about the FST 50)

Please help with:
Opinions on how everyone else would proceed.
Advice on how to tell which model it was/age with no stamp in the body. (There is a inked serial on the bottom of the neck starting with 82 but the stone logo ended in 81 I thought....)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: