• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB: MIJ SG Special (Pelham Blue)...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimtalkbox

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm looking for a Bacchus (or similar MIJ) SG Special style guitar in Pelham Blue finish. My leads on finding a Bacchus BSG SP have dried up but I'm still looking for one. Gibson is asking $3640 for their Custom Shop version! Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Here's a pic of what I'm looking for:

bsg-sp_pb_body.jpg

$3640 is for the newer Gibson Custom Shop special (Wildwood Guitars, etc.). It has the specs I like but is way more than I'd want to put into a guitar.

The Elliot Easton model (AFAIK) is a dual humbucker model with a maestro style trem. I currently have a Pelham Blue Epi SG with the Maestro that I like, but the P-90's suit me better. I also like the Special's styling more.

If I can't find what I want, I've been considering looking for a Tokai USG 90 (SG Junior in White) and then just having it eventually refinished to Pelham Blue.

sg90stw1.jpg

I have a USGP90 Special in TV yellow (only one I've ever seen) with the correct Gibson headstock. Has Fralin P90's in it with neck p'up 10% underwound to bridge. Have original p'ups too (the Fralins sound so much better) I'm in Dallas too..... PM me if interested

057.jpg

058.jpg

059.jpg

I will consider it, Marcus. The only thing is that I'd almost hate to paint over that TV Yellow finish!

I've got a TVY Edwards LP Special which I adore!

I'll try to take a pic of it sometime today. In the meantime here's a different photo I found online of it:

epiphoneg400ltdedsgwithmaestropelhamblue.jpg

I changed the tuners on mine to green keystone style (from another Epi) and changed the knobs to black speed knobs. I also had a set of Dimarzio Air Classic (vintage style, low output HB's) pickups put in and all new jack, switch and CTS pots.

I've only listened to Wilco sparingly. I think I have Yankee Hotel Foxtrot on CD somewhere.

To be honest, I can't completely remember where my Pelham Blue obsession came from. I just think it looks AWESOME on SG's and to a slightly lesser degree, Firebirds.

Buying that Epi last year (Pelham Blue) sated my lust for the color, but the beveling and headstock always throw me off on those things. When will I learn? (This is my 3rd Epi SG (2 G400s and 1 Junior))

I got desperate enough to start looking into someone that could MAKE an SG Special or Junior in Pelham but didn't get very far. I've got a couple of leads on the great looking Tokai USG90 (White SG Junior) as well as some helpful leads on the Bacchus and other Tokai stuff from the forumites here, which I sincerely appreciate. 8)

jimtalkbox said:
Buying that Epi last year (Pelham Blue) sated my lust for the color, but the beveling and headstock always throw me off on those things. When will I learn? (This is my 3rd Epi SG (2 G400s and 1 Junior))

I got desperate enough to start looking into someone that could MAKE an SG Special or Junior in Pelham but didn't get very far. I've got a couple of leads on the great looking Tokai USG90 (White SG Junior) as well as some helpful leads on the Bacchus and other Tokai stuff from the forumites here, which I sincerely appreciate. 8)

Whats wrong with the bevelling? And is the neck bound?

And Clive Brown would probably make you an incredible SG - he really likes Juniors especially.

"Whats wrong with the bevelling? And is the neck bound?

And Clive Brown would probably make you an incredible SG - he really likes Juniors especially."

The beveling (to me at least) on the bass side of the guitar is never deep enough. The neck isn't bound, but that doesn't bother me as much. Don't get me wrong, the Epi is a great guitar, but I just want something that looks like a Special or Junior with P90's.

I wouldn't mind having something custom made, but I have a pretty small budget in comparison to what it would take to get exactly what I want. ($1000-$1400 total)

Why not try to find a butchered original '60's SG Junior - refin, headstock-break, humbucker-routed, etc. and restore it with a Pelham finish.

I have two '64 Juniors and they are killer!! guitars - I play nothing else these days. You cant beat old wood IMO and you could find a beater within your budget and gradually restore it.

I'm looking for a husk like that for myself. I'm gonna slap a Humbucker on it and re-fin it in gold-sparkle.

Yeah, I've thought about that very thing. It's still a possibility but I don't do that sort of work myself aside from basic soldering. (And to be honest, with a toddler around I don't have much time to even do that!)

I like the idea of the gold sparkle SG!

Latest posts

Back