Buying 80's MIJ Breezysound - Advise/Help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3ff.hr

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I'm thinking about buying MIJ Breezysound, it's local so I'll have a chance to try it out.
Info I got from the seller:
Guitar is in great condition, set up, frets are perfect. Changed 'upgraded' pickups (Klein) and electronics.
Price: 850 cad

I would just like to check here first if I got the model and year right. I'm no Tokai expert.

39163386.jpg
62573596.jpg

59953587.jpg
66294643.jpg

I'm thinking:
model: TTE-50
year: 1985
body: 2p Alder (center joined?)
finish: poly
nut: non original brass??

So...Did I get it right?

Do you think the price is reasonable (or maybe a bit high)? ...guitar not being all original.

I'm aware that value is somewhat subjective and depends on how much I want it. I don't really care about changed parts, if I buy it I'll buy it for the sound and feel. And if it's two piece centre joined I'll probably refinish it in Tru-oil anyway...

Do you guys think this is a good deal, or should I pass? 850 will lead to some sacrifices so I have to think twice.

Cheers,
Jeff

Well, a TE-50 in nice condition is always a nice thing. I think you can find them for 500 - 650 USD used if you?re lucky.
You?re right about the model and year is 1983-1985 (can?t really tell for sure)
Yes, replaced nut.

The Klein pickups are maybe more of an upgrade than negatively affecting resale value. In fact a lot of TE-50 that are sold are not all-original.
The body is 2p Sen or Alder (nice, cause many TE-50 have 3p bodies). I don?t see a reason to refinish it. That would really affect the value.

If you have the chance to try it out, do so. You can still try to negotiate the price if you think it?s too much.

Looking at a lot of classified ads and completed ebay listing will give you the best idea what these are going for and what it?s worth to you.

$850 is a collector price. I think it's high for the changed parts and later logo.

Let's look at some facts:
-TE50 is the lowest grade Tele
-mid-80's production less desirable than early 80's for TE
-later logo, less desirable than Fender style spaghetti logo
-replaced pickups
-brass nut, who wants that
-maple neck, seems to be more common than rosewood

Reality is a common, low spec model from later production with changed parts.

The player value of the guitar is probably around 500 - 600. If it was all original maybe 700. If it was earlier production, maybe 800. But have you looked at what is available from Fender these days? Poly finished Teles are falling out of trees on every street corner for low prices.

Cali Girl said:
$850 is a collector price. I think it's high for the changed parts and later logo.

Let's look at some facts:
-TE50 is the lowest grade Tele
-mid-80's production less desirable than early 80's for TE
-later logo, less desirable than Fender style spaghetti logo
-replaced pickups
-brass nut, who wants that
-maple neck, seems to be more common than rosewood

Reality is a common, low spec model from later production with changed parts.

The player value of the guitar is probably around 500 - 600. If it was all original maybe 700. If it was earlier production, maybe 800. But have you looked at what is available from Fender these days? Poly finished Teles are falling out of trees on every street corner for low prices.

Too complicated. :wink:

Happy Holidays!

j3ff.hr said:
Hi folks!
Price: 850 cad

This tele's been for sale for a long long time (at least half a year, possibly longer), the seller is not getting $850 for it, but he hasn't quite publically accepted that yet. That provides negotiation leverage, but some people don't take a negotiation well. I've been watching it all this time, but as suggested here $500 or so is the max I would have offered and would have then been accused of being a lowballer -- don't need the hassle, so never offered. Good luck with it, Jeff.

Back