Is there a better les paul out there for the money?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an Edwards, (an older one) which is a great guitar. I also have an Epiphone Elite goldtop, made by fujigen, which is also excellent. However, in my opinion, as a Gasser, the greatest Japanese Les Paul is....

The History version, made by Fujigen exclusively for the Shimamura music store. These have the Circle Fret System (cfs) which is awesome... the strings are the same distance from the fret board throughout the neck. These also have the excellent 'Louis' pickups. Mine has an inlay on the headstock that say "Dignity". I am looking for some additional History instruments, but hard to come by!

Univibe said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESP-Edwar...al_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4d073b54ba

Is there anything MIJ around ?800, new, used or vintage, that you would take over this one? My ideal guitar would be one of the new Bacchus Classic Series Les Pauls but import costs push it out of my budget and I have never seen one used for sale in the UK.

If you have the bottle, buying from Japan will get you one of those Bacchus Classic LPs for less than 800.

I have seen the odd one sell for 50,000 Yen which is about 350 quid. You could probably land one for 600 to 650.

I've never played an Edwards so take this how you will, but based on specs yeah there are a few I would choose before them. (all used....using some patience....I never buy new)

Top of my list would be a used Bacchus Duke series...preferably with the oil finish.

As mentioned by others, I'd rather have the Classic Series Bacchus as well but I would put them a small step below the Duke's.

Used Greco or Orville's would be next. Even by Gibson model orvilles can be had out of japan on occasion for that kind of money.

There are some new Crews series as well at around that price point that look good.

Probably History/Fujigen/FgN too.

So...lol...yeah...really for me Edwards are at the bottom of my MIJ list.

soundcreation said:
So...lol...yeah...really for me Edwards are at the bottom of my MIJ list.
Well, they're not entirely MIJ are they...

I agree with you on the older Duke oil finished version; that would be my next buy without a doubt.

Edwards, especially when u by them used, are a great value for the money.
Mass produced, high level of cratftsmanship, but also here: they do not all sound the same.
I hate the SD pickups, but they are easy to sell. One of my favourite LPs is a Edwards jimmy page model which I converted to 59 (tuners), put in Bare Knuckle Mules and aluminum stop tail.
But your mileage may vary.

Back