Fender MIM classic '60 reverse headstock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesyrat

Reaction score
just a little claim about my NGD on a Mexican rarity that was made with collaboration of Californian Custom Shop. It's really a beauty and plays very very well. It's well built and is over my expectations about playability. Mayeresque Vaughanesque Hendrixesque, it's very nice to sound it through a marshallesque amp :lol: :lol:
I love it... and perhaps could like to Iain... knock knock... :wink:

2012-11-02144104.jpg

2012-11-02142119.jpg

Had one of those, nice player, especially with the reverse headstock and bridge pup!
I upgraded it with a voodoo 3 ply pickguard, looked sharp...

Here you go. Only available in Malaysia, I was looking for one last time I was there but they were not in the shops.

Sham2.jpg

Bluesy, just checked out where Latina was on google maps. Not too hot on Geography but didn't realise you we're so close to Rome. Any good football teams locally that you support? :D

Despite i'm so near to Rome (luckily as i'm an archaeologist) i'm supporting Inter all my life. But if i had to choose a local great team i think my sympathy would be to the AS Roma.

this was the right week to ask... Juventus-Inter:1-3 :wink: :lol: :lol:

How about Liverpool?

Yeah, we used to be good. You probably remember a certain night in Istanbul with a smile. I was there. Had a nice trip to Milan once to see your. Stadium but as there was a concert on we couldn't tour. Rome is on my list, the wife loves it so will give you a shout if we come over.

My only other trip to Italy was a great week in Sicily. I remember thee was a lot of noise one night with scooters and flags and horns being sounded. I asked the waiter in our hotel what was going on and he explained proudly that Catania had be promoted to Serie A. Catania! I exclaimed. YES he retorted looking rather hurt! I've still got my lovely pink. Palermo shirt from that trip.

Hey, maybe we should start a new thread. Guitars matching our football strips! I've got a blue and black one for you!

Fantastic... I have a red one for you too :lol:
nice anecdote... I'd been only one time in England (a month in Cambridge and London) 19 years ago :eek:

Please give me a call if you came at Rome, I'll be glad to meet you and spend some hour with you...
Francesco

Just realised that your MIM and this Malaysian strat both have 11 screw single ply stratch plates. With the mention of going for a 3 ply in the tread is there a historical precedent for single ply 11 screw scratch plates in fenders from the 70's? I suppose the maple neck confuses things too but i am aware of fender 60's guitars that have 3 ply scratches and 11 screws but were custom ordered with maple necks or a maple slab on a maple neck.

Or, am i just being a bit 'anal' about the asthetics? :D

p.s. just saw the new MIM vintage reissues. look very nice but didnt get a chance to play as they only had the 50's ones and I would really like to try the 60 rosewood neck. They were going for ?565 I think.

iainblack said:
Francesco, here' your Inter guitar. It is a dark blue even though it looks black:

DSC03409.jpg

Iain, you should be making guitars for Gucci or Tiffany or some such. That's amazing work :D

@iain: i don't know why but all the 50th anniversary stratocaster were with 1 ply 11 screw pickguard also...
About mine we have to think that it's a '66 reissue, not a '62... i have to check on my books about that...
Anyway, cts pots, oak switch, alnico pick ups... alder body (as far as i know californian made like the neck...)... sounds great
:roll:

Mirrorboy, thank you for the high praise however I cannot claim credit for this one. It is a custom made job I picked up in cash converters in Bolton. It has the Dimebag humbucker in the neck position and 2 other seymore duncan stacked / rail humbuckers in the other position, gold plated spretzel locking tuners, licensed gold floyd rose and fully copper shielded under the black metal scratchplate, it also has all sorts of ciol taps and pot switches so lots of sounds abound. It has a reverse jackson style headstock with no logo, two piece body etc. I tried to sell it at the Heydock guitar fair but no takers. I will have it on sale again at the Aintree guitar fayre on 25th November but if it does not sell I will probably break it down (sacralige I know!) but the parts should get me ?350 even though I'm selling it for less than that! Maybe '80s metal will come back in!

Francesco, do you mean '69 copy - a Hendrix buff will tell us the Isle of Wight model I'm sure. Also do you have to wear an afro wig and military tunic when playing it? :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

well, to be finicky, mine is a '67 copy actually with some incorrect detail.

The pickguard: according to Tony Bacon in 1965 the pickguard became 1 ply 11 screws for a (short??) period (CBS era, large headstock) :eek: i never seen one. I recall that 11 screwed pickguard is a bit different starting from '65 because the up screw between neck and middle pick up return back near the middle single coil cover (like the '54-'59 era)... so who knows if there is around a '67 single plyed PG strat?

'65-'66 maple neck (1 piece like mine) didn't exist but was an option for '67-68. So mine could be a '67 maple option copy :wink: :lol: . The current copy has a different truss rod head (at the nut, not at the end of the neck) though.

in '68/'69 strats had 3 ply scratch plate for sure but slab maple board and different logo

correct '66
66_strat-car_1.jpg

'68-'69 (Hendrix belonged) slightly different tuners and fretted maple neck...
edit390FenderHendrix.high.jpg

Back