Uncovered a Jem

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iainblack

Reaction score
I walked into my local Cash Converters and spotted this wee beauty. It fit my bill as it was white with a rosewood neck. It had the name Hudson on th eheadstock in letraset which was easy to remove. Not sure if this is a brand name or the name of the original owner.

I think it is an Indian copy of an Ibanez Jem 777 (or was that the 7 string version?. I had heard that these were very poor however the neck felt nice, the action was fine and the trem pretty solid.

DSC01100-1.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

The rosewood was parched so I used lemon oil and gave it a general clean.

The final touch was to swap out the pickups for white / cream humbuckers and single coil cover

DSC01107.jpg

That's quite a respectable looking plank. Hudson is Crane's Music Store's own brand.

I'm surprised the Hudson logo was applied as sticky letters on top of the headstock finish. Very easy to remove with a finger nail and clean off the adhesive with cleaning solution

My Aria retro 1532 has a dry transfer headstock logo like the old Letraset. I scratched the 'S' off the end of 'classics' with my fingernail.

I was surprised to see it on an Aria as I don't think it's very durable. I remember making gig posters years ago using Letraset sheets and you had to fix it with a special spray to stop it rubbing off.

tabimg_1532T_2.jpg
7187891416_5044c340ee_n.jpg

Weird. I know the squire logos are just sprayed on and come of with a bit of t-cut and elbow grease if you were so inclined but sticky labels are just tacky ('scuse the pun!)

mirrorboy said:
That's quite a respectable looking plank. Hudson is Crane's Music Store's own brand.

Ta for the head's up. I've only heard good things about Hudson/Cranes guitars. What sort of price did you get it for Iain?

mirrorboy said:

Ta for the head's up. I've only heard good things about Hudson/Cranes guitars. What sort of price did you get it for Iain?

Back