Custom White Mint Collection?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Malloy

Reaction score
GRECOwhiteCustomMintbodyfrontwhole.jpg

GRECOwhiteCustomMintbodyfrontwhole1.jpg

GRECOwhiteCustomMintbodybackwhole.jpg

It was probably just in a window for display or something. Hard to tell but I thought it looked like a mint Collection.

I could turn it into a real guitar. If it used to be one that is.. And maybe even if it didn't. :>)

IMG-20121006-00119.jpg

Whew... About 7 hours worth of work so far. Nuts still too high and it just doesn't feel right. probably the frets and the necks just not right yet as well. With the Screamin 82's in it though it rally snarls and has a ton of mids and highs. won't stay in tune. isn't really intonated although I intonated it. Could be the perfect Evertune guitar.

Nice job! Maybe if you put the wheel back on everything will work properly!
How much does she weigh?

LOL. That's the thing. And the reason I even dug this deep. 8 pounds. Now that it's fully loaded maybe 9. maybe... Light.. The neck is different then my early 80's Mint necks. It's deeper> Ironically more like a Bacchus bu still a Greco. i actually got it to the point now where it's sorta behaving. I had to file the nut slots. you know if the nuts not the right height everything else is a waist of time. And i knew the it as the ut i jsut didn't want to go there because I also know that I'll have Glaser replace the nut but I had togo there to see if it was worthy of replacing so I did it and that made a huge difference. Things started playing it tune and staying a little better in tune. but the thing has a grind and a midrange that is astoundingly good. It's still a bit clunky but it just needs Glaser to maximize it and it will be putty in my hands. The Screamins with no covers are ah,, Screamin... Aptly named I must say. So now I am wondering if I should cover them with the over priced Gold covers I bought from the local music store "All parts" or I f I should leave hem black. ???? i still need a back plate I've tried 2 they won't fit. This 1989 does have a different vibe from the early 80's ones I know and love. It's a different thing. NOt as good I would say but then just as good in ton I would say. I really think once Glasers done with it it's gonna be great. It needs a re fret some finger board plaining and a plek job. Cost a fortune but I'll never sell this guitar. I don't think. I paid $127 plus shipping. It sucks when the shipping is moe than the guitar. LOL Go bless he wheel. Oh did I mention there was a decal that said GET HAPPY. You can still see it> And there was all this colored paint stuff all over the place. Checkers and all this wird paint. it all came off with Semichrome that stuff is the bomb. BUt this guitar was definitely a clowns guitar. And it was played a LOT. maybe before the clown had it cause the frets are thrashed. and the neck has some pitting. And it resonates like crazy. And the single neck pickup was hooked up to the treble pickups volume knob and it was turned around so the active side was pointed towards the bridge. Interesting. This guitar had so many weird twists and turns to ge to where it is I cannot believe it. It took SO LONG to get string on it. LOL BUt it was worth it it's gonna be a good one.

oh and the board is Rosewood. Average rosewood too. nothing special at all. Weird for a custom I think.

Also I have a ton of nickel hardware laying around so was forced to throw that on it. I couldn't find ANYTHING Gold.

Nice job on savin' that custom Mitch, it looks like a completely different guitar now. I have a pair of screamin '82 pups that i might throw into my '84 greco custom and see what it sounds like. I've never heard them myself but they were in the John Sykes greco models i believe, you've inspired me to get around to doing some more tinkering. Only the higher end Greco customs had ebony boards from what i know.

Nice to see the guitar was played a lot, that usually means something.
You got a great deal on it though, that is the price of a nice pedal!

Yes but the auction fees and shipping kill you. It's a commitment getting these guitars over here as I know I'm going to have to sink at least $300 into them once they get here and I always do. If you count the hardware I usually get for free it's even more. It's not cheap buying these guitars. I NEVER just flip them. Never. I feel like it's my calling to make them the guitar they were always supposed to be. And so I do. And then I sell them but I rarely sell them for profit I sell them to friends mostly for what I have into them and they are thrilled to get them. I keep the light ones. LOL This Wheel guitar is one of those. I think I'll always have this one. And I'm about to sink a ton of cash into it. Fret board leveling, re fret, plek and possibly Evertune install. YIKES! Joe Glaser is NOT cheap. That's why I do everything I can first.. BUt in a few ays this white guitar is gonna be a freak.. I put Gold Covers ver the Pickups looks great. And I like the way it sounds still. Not as bright but yet it's more pleasant sounding in a way. More contained. I think the Screamins were meant to have covers.

On yeah and a new nut. Glaser charges $35 for that I think. LOL Ouch. Worth it though.

Latest posts

Back