Squier SE Special for modding

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iainblack

Reaction score
I was looking for a cheap Squier to customise. Small headstock, white to allow base coat for refinish. I found one on Preloved for 50 quid including an SP10 amp. Called the guy - does it have a small headstock, dont know, is it an Affinity? Dont know. Its in good condition tho. Eventually got that it had a pearlescent scratch plate so I was hopeful that it was an SE Special.

It was and in mint condition for a 2004 model! Excellent for customising, scratchplate screw holes match fender specs for 11 and 8 hole plates. The body if full depth (3.6 kgs), cast tuners. Nice neck. My only problem is I now feel it's too good to refinish. The trem is not standard and could do with a full size with steel block. I changed the strap buttons first as the ones supplied were poor. Heres a few photos:

DSC01081.jpg

DSC01091.jpg

Nice swimming pool :-(

DSC01092.jpg

Anyone read chinese characters?

DSC01093.jpg

Potential alternative scratches:

DSC01095.jpg

DSC01097.jpg

Already got one like that so will be keeping this one as stock and looking for another one which I will be doing day-glo green!

Nice stickers! Weird how Squier do a single ply 11 screw scratchplate. I have a 3 ply 8 screw scratchplate! Maybe they wanted to save money on screwing and drilling ?!?!

Yeah the scratchplates are oddly configured, but at least the older single-ply ones are a decent thickness unlike the flimsy ones on recent Squiers and Jimmie Vaughan Fender strats.

Green dayglo you say? Bet that would look wild with the green moto scratchplate, like kryptonite! Must confess am strangely drawn to green guitars these days, never had one see. Never wanted one either, up until recently that is :D

I suppose the Steve Vai Loch Ness green ibanez was an influence and he had a bright green strat when he played with Zappa before he was an Ibanez endorsee

I did it over a few months last year as sort of therapy recovering from lung cancer (all gone now thanks to NHS). I lost a bit of lung but am singing again, albeit a little bit higher in pitch than before :D

I will have to look for another Squier now, Iain's got me inspired again. I got no preconceived ideas so I'll see what turns up first.

mirrorboy said:
all gone now thanks to NHS. I lost a bit of lung but am singing again, albeit a little bit higher in pitch than before :D

I'm very glad to read you're fine now... it's time to play loud :D :wink:

Mirrorboy,

Fantastic news re your health. Thanks for sharing that. Iain is right I did go a bit mad on the Breezy mod front...

DSC_0174small-1.jpg

DSC_0176small.jpg

I still have great memories of the Leeds get together and many thanks for your efforts in helping organise that.

Who knows - another sometime?

Cheers

All the best.

Dave

Latest posts

Back