MK2s vs high end PAFs

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Jones

Reaction score
I currently have the stock MK2 pickups in my ES-130, and they sound nice... but as you know guitarists often just want more !

I was looking at high end PAF pickups and was wondering if they were that much better than the stock pickups... of course the best way would be to try them but since they cost quite a lot I'd like to know if some of you did the swap, and if it was worth it or not.

PS : By high end I mean stuff made by JM Rolf, Lindy Fralin, etc...

Seem to remember the ES models have either Jazz or Rock pups. If you look at the label and there's a J after the model then they're jazz. So if you want something more rocky or bluesy it could be worth a try dependant on what you've got. Having said that I've tried a few different pups inc Fralins in my Navigator and the MkIIs sound best. I think it depends on the guitar... You should also be aware changing pups in a semi is pretty **** fiddly.

Tokai used Rolph pickups for their high-end models, so I got a pair of Rolph '58 Pretenders(instead of ?59 as usual came) and put on a custom order LS. Great pickups! Think about a Seth Lover from Seymour Duncan but better, with an over the edge harmonic content. I use Wolfetone pickups, Dr. V, Legend and Marshallhead and they sound just like I want. MKII are good pickups but it is worth to me the change.
Hope it helps.

DaveWW said:
Seem to remember the ES models have either Jazz or Rock pups. If you look at the label and there's a J after the model then they're jazz. So if you want something more rocky or bluesy it could be worth a try dependant on what you've got. Having said that I've tried a few different pups inc Fralins in my Navigator and the MkIIs sound best. I think it depends on the guitar... You should also be aware changing pups in a semi is pretty **** fiddly.

That's only for the first year issue 1981 ES100... the R and J pickups didn't exist after that

ES100J-1.jpg

DaveWW said:
Ah OK I stand corrected.

Forgot to mention, like yourself, after putting a set of really nice boutique PAFs (Peter Florance VooDoo 60's) in a guitar, I put a set of MKII's in it and they blew the VooDoo's away..... I'd pay for a pair of MKII's any day over the fancy ones... they're that good (to my ear anyway)

marcusnieman said:
DaveWW said:
Ah OK I stand corrected.

Forgot to mention, like yourself, after putting a set of really nice boutique PAFs (Peter Florance VooDoo 60's) in a guitar, I put a set of MKII's in it and they blew the VooDoo's away..... I'd pay for a pair of MKII's any day over the fancy ones... they're that good (to my ear anyway)

+1

Back