Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MK2s vs high end PAFs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Jones
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: MK2s vs high end PAFs Reply with quote

I currently have the stock MK2 pickups in my ES-130, and they sound nice... but as you know guitarists often just want more !

I was looking at high end PAF pickups and was wondering if they were that much better than the stock pickups... of course the best way would be to try them but since they cost quite a lot I'd like to know if some of you did the swap, and if it was worth it or not.

PS : By high end I mean stuff made by JM Rolf, Lindy Fralin, etc...
DaveWW
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem to remember the ES models have either Jazz or Rock pups. If you look at the label and there's a J after the model then they're jazz. So if you want something more rocky or bluesy it could be worth a try dependant on what you've got. Having said that I've tried a few different pups inc Fralins in my Navigator and the MkIIs sound best. I think it depends on the guitar... You should also be aware changing pups in a semi is pretty damn fiddly.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokai used Rolph pickups for their high-end models, so I got a pair of Rolph '58 Pretenders(instead of ?59 as usual came) and put on a custom order LS. Great pickups! Think about a Seth Lover from Seymour Duncan but better, with an over the edge harmonic content. I use Wolfetone pickups, Dr. V, Legend and Marshallhead and they sound just like I want. MKII are good pickups but it is worth to me the change.
Hope it helps.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWW wrote:
Seem to remember the ES models have either Jazz or Rock pups. If you look at the label and there's a J after the model then they're jazz. So if you want something more rocky or bluesy it could be worth a try dependant on what you've got. Having said that I've tried a few different pups inc Fralins in my Navigator and the MkIIs sound best. I think it depends on the guitar... You should also be aware changing pups in a semi is pretty damn fiddly.

That's only for the first year issue 1981 ES100... the R and J pickups didn't exist after that

DaveWW
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah OK I stand corrected.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWW wrote:
Ah OK I stand corrected.

Forgot to mention, like yourself, after putting a set of really nice boutique PAFs (Peter Florance VooDoo 60's) in a guitar, I put a set of MKII's in it and they blew the VooDoo's away..... I'd pay for a pair of MKII's any day over the fancy ones... they're that good (to my ear anyway)
Diamond
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
DaveWW wrote:
Ah OK I stand corrected.

Forgot to mention, like yourself, after putting a set of really nice boutique PAFs (Peter Florance VooDoo 60's) in a guitar, I put a set of MKII's in it and they blew the VooDoo's away..... I'd pay for a pair of MKII's any day over the fancy ones... they're that good (to my ear anyway)

+1
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2c -

I had MKIIs in my LS-150, SG-155, and ES-120.

Didn't like them in the LP or SG. Sounded absolutely amazing (to my ears) in the ES.

Jason
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: