Identifing a Les Paul....Help!!!!!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor d

Reaction score
I have a Gibson Les Paul that I believe was made in Japan. It is old. It looks like the original Brockburst Paul in a tea burst color. The finish is ambering nicely. It is amazing and one of the 5 best Pauls I have ever played. You would never know this was a Japanese guitar except the ABR-1 style bridge is actually a little wider (the distance between the mounting screws going into the body) than a Gibson ABR-1 and the mounting screws going into the body are a little thicker (an ABR-1 will not fit on these posts because they are slightly thicker). The bottom of the bridge says "JAPAN" where the words "GIBSON ABR-1" would normally be and the bridge saddels are brass. The pickups are Seymore Duncans (not original). All of the wiring is old 1950's stuff. Can somebody tell me where and when something like this would actually be made? It has a regular '59 style serial number. Structurally this guitar is identical to an original '59. To view this instrument go to http://www.ifrance.com/parkerguitar/tokai.html It is the misidentified Les Paul classic from ebay. (I checked with Gibson and internally it is too accurate to be a classic). Serial number is 9 31XX. 1993 was a transitional year for Gibson and their reissues. Help!!!!!!!!

Victor, that is one beautiful guitar! Very Brockburst-like. Do you own it (because I would like to)? I've never seen a Tokai with that dramatic a flame, so I don't know if it is or not. I believe Gibson made some Lesters for export to the Japanese market only - higher end stuff, of course, but that doesn't explain the Japan marking under the ABR. One source that would likey give you the answer is The Unofficial Les Paul Forum. Its members are extremely knowledgeable about anything Gibson - but beware! - it's best to lurk awhile befor posting; they can be absolutely vicious to new members (unlike Tokai people) :wink:

Latest posts

Back