NGD Tokai ES-100N 2002, my first semi

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looktoyourorb

Reaction score
Awesome, just plain awesome.

I was in Coda a couple of weeks ago trying a number of Gibson semis including a ?3000 Larry Carlton and I much prefer my ?500 gem.

It is nasty with the duncan 59s, rich and fat yet keeping that airy feel and sparkle. Very inspiring and as flawless as you can expect from Tokai.

Why do people still bother with Gibson?

It has the dimple headstock as all my other Tokais but I am proud about it as it separates it for the more than ordinary Gibbos.

I forgot the compulsory pics...

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

looktoyourorb said:
NGD Tokai ES-100N 2002, my first semi

Butt-head: Huh huh huh huh. He said, "semi"
Beavis: Oh, yeah.Heh heh heh heh.

beavisandbuttheadold.png

:lol: Just kidding,cool guitar man! :D

Now that is a beauty and I guess one of the answers to why people bother with Gibson's is that they tend to hold their price better than copies no matter how good they are and the name Gibson on the head stock still counts for a lot. On second thoughts quite probably because they have not had the opportunity to play a Tokai.

Don't get me wrong I thought I was making a downwards move going from Gibson to a Tokai. It was only when I received it, inspected it and played it I realized that at worse I had made a sideways move and at best an upwards one at much less than half the price. :D

Quietly said:
Now that is a beauty and I guess one of the answers to why people bother with Gibson's is that they tend to hold their price better than copies no matter how good they are and the name Gibson on the head stock still counts for a lot. On second thoughts quite probably because they have not had the opportunity to play a Tokai.

Don't get me wrong I thought I was making a downwards move going from Gibson to a Tokai. It was only when I received it, inspected it and played it I realized that at worse I had made a sideways move and at best an upwards one at much less than half the price. :D

Can't agree more - I am an ex Gibson addict: LP Standard, LP Smartwood, SG Standard...the only one left is my SG because it is one of these rare guitars that Gibson make with "the vibe". I can honestly say I have not played one bad MIJ Tokai. Yes a couple needed a set up but that is to be expected after travelling from Japan.

Oh, and the reason I bought my SG? I could not find a Tokai in the UK... :lol:

I was just looking at the list of your guitars hmmmm I must stop and please do not post anymore pictures :eek: You are giving me severe GAS. :D

Quietly said:

Seriously! I can't GIVE away my ES-120! I had it listed here and some guy said it was the same as a $400 Epiphone. :x

Jason

Quietly said:
I was just looking at the list of your guitars hmmmm I must stop and please do not post anymore pictures :eek: You are giving me severe GAS. :D

Muchas gracias.

Thanks for checking the list - Tokais are at the very top with PRS...they are nearly as good as my homemade axes! :lol:

Quietly said:

Don't get me wrong I thought I was making a downwards move going from Gibson to a Tokai. .

The road from Gibson to Tokai is called the "Colle dell?Agnello", or Col Angel. :D

agnel_it600_large.jpg

A basic ES-100 is better than a standard 335, no doubt about it.

Common 335 niggles: warped top at neck junction, scruffy F holes, center block not connected to the guitar back, shards on the center block, poor fit f the neck, non cured nitro.

Common ES-100 niggles: hard to find one in a shop.

Diamond said:
Quietly said:

Don't get me wrong I thought I was making a downwards move going from Gibson to a Tokai. .

The road from Gibson to Tokai is called the "Colle dell?Agnello", or Col Angel. :D

agnel_it600_large.jpg

:lol: :D Right but its not until you get one that you know that.

I don?t care about Gibson regular 335s. I haven?t found any that "spoke" to me.

Offotpic: Diamond,do you have any permission for putting those pics?
Just wondering?

Latest posts

Back