Another Greco Identification Thread - 1 Single Coil, 1960s?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobaar

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post here, and I'm glad there's a forum that is all about Greco because I'm looking for assistance in identifying what this guitar is. I found it at a Buy-Sell-Trade shop in Illinois and got it for quite a steal. The condition is nothing to write home about but it sounded good enough in a cheapo solid state amp, so I made an offer on it that was accepted and took her home.

I don't know what all pictures you need to identify but I have been scouring the Internet and have not found another guitar with the same configuration and the Greco plate on the headstock (I found one with another plate on it which was for a different company, but from what I can tell, that's pretty typical).

At any rate, here are the pictures. There is no serial number I can find or any markings to indicate age, model, or anything. So I'm running blind here!

2012-07-24172659.jpg

2012-07-24172705.jpg

2012-07-24172715.jpg

Thanks!

~Mo

Very interesting!

Unfortunately, most people on here don't care about Japanese guitars unless they are a direct copy of other well known USA guitars, so there's not much knowledge about these earlier Japanese guitars.

There's good reason for this though: the copying accuracy peak coincided with the build quality peak.

I have something that bears a resemblance in some respects to your guitar and I'll try and dig it out in the next few days.

Well said JV.
That logo type is 1965 or earlier as far as I know. Can't find that model in any of the 1965-1967 catalogs, there are a few that look like yours in the 1966 catalog but have a different headstock and pickups. The pickup type make me think pre 1965 too.

Latest posts

Back