Red Greco SE600

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingo

Reaction score
I recently found this guitar on ebay which seems really great:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270951134130?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I am doing some research on this colour. Does anyone know more about it, it seems to be very rare. I am sure it is original although I have only seen two on ebay during the last years (one is this), and only one other picture in the net. It seems the red ones were available with white or tortoise pickguards. The ones I have seen were both late 1978, I need to know if this colour was available before 1978?
And were these always nitro?

Hm the only red and other custom colors greco strats I have seen were all 82' with matching headstock.
But I agree your greco looks legit.
This can be a limited run custom color or simply a refinish..
SE600 use to be nitro during super real era (late 79 -> 81) but I don't know for 78'.

Juni41 said:
Hm the only red and other custom colors greco strats I have seen were all 82' with matching headstock.
SE600 use to be nitro during super real era (late 79 -> 81) but I don't know for 78'.

I had a white one.
Made in April 1982.
Kind of interesting considering that JV replaced them same month.

Juni41 said:

I tend to think it is custom colour because up to now I now have seen three in exactly this colour.

Juni41 said:

It seems to be nitro. I haven't tried the test with nitro thinner yet but it is a very thin finish, at some places you can see the wood grain and the body seams through the finish.

My 1978 SE600 had a poly finish

SE6001.jpg

I have seen them in that Fiesta Red as well as a nice deep blue.
I shoulda bought the blue one 8 months ago...it went so **** cheap!
I really do not think they religiously adhered to poly on lower and lacquer on upper because some upper models had poly as well.

Ingo said:
I recently found this guitar on ebay which seems really great:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270951134130?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I am doing some research on this colour. Does anyone know more about it, it seems to be very rare. I am sure it is original although I have only seen two on ebay during the last years (one is this), and only one other picture in the net. It seems the red ones were available with white or tortoise pickguards. The ones I have seen were both late 1978, I need to know if this colour was available before 1978?
And were these always nitro?

That's a lot of dough for a Super Sound.

Wow, over a grand for a '78 SE-600, its in great shape but really wow, that's an expensive paintjob.

Maybe it's my computer monitor but to me that guitar looks more of a Salmon than anything Fiesta, i have a '78 SE-500 Au Natural with the coke-head mirror pickguard that i paid $300 for, it does me fine. I've thought about changing the pickguard but then i always get a chuckle about it so it stays. :lol:

Yeah it is definitely a Fiesta Red but not quite as faded as you usually see them.

Is your 500 a 2 or 3 piece, Toes?
I have a 1 piece Greco body with a higher end Super Sounds neck covered in Birdseye and finished in lacquer.
The tuner screw pattern shows it had the Schallers that the 1000's+ came with so those two will join in happy matrimony soon lol.

Mine is a 3 piece Sen body with very odd routing under the pickguard, big headstock with the Se500 sticker on the back, but 4 screw back plate, no skunk stripe on neck, truss rod adustment on the bottom, i'm not a strat guy for the most part so i can't tell you how accurate a copy it is. It's very comfy to play and it has a maple fretboard, the only maple fretboard i have.

207tamg.jpg

j94rig.jpg

2i9pjyb.jpg

jjnqlj.jpg

vhq876.jpg

Yeah my early 77 Greco 1200(?) oil finish has a route like that.
I thought I had a cavity pic but I guess not howeverit is just like yours with a dual wire route.

7356552490_5e5051a4b2_b.jpg

However my later 77 SE1000 has a reg route so they changed that at some point in 77.

6697238615_4f8a07a268_b.jpg

6618042651_ccf4c24940_b.jpg

My 1980 has the same thig

Check out this rare bird.
Never seen a Lake Placid Blue Greco Strat yet alone with a matching headstock colour and Super Real.
1st time I have seen this bridge as well.

7576291206_d2c6cbe5f3_b.jpg

Sweet!
Cheers for that as I had no idea what this was.
I still have the brass knobs it came with too...they & the bridge are not light.
Looks like Mark's were swapped.

I saw one of these "The Strat" Greco's a while back on fleebay. Tempted to pull the trigger. How do they sound with the brass saddles? Strats are already bright. Does it add sustain or something?

That was mine and purchased by a fellow forum member ;-)
It does add some tonal differences but not a huge deal.
It does however add a decent amount of weight! Lol

nice. I've heard brass bridges and saddles were the thing in the late 70s early 80s. My se800 is heavy enough. Best sounding strat I've ever owned. I'd love to try a 1000 or 1200.

Back