Tokai ST-50ag strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philw

Reaction score
Hi all first post here,and thought i would share some photo's of my Japanese made Tokai ST-50ag (AshGold) strat,Swamp ash body in See thru Blonde,one piece maple neck,Gold hardware etc and amazing playing/sounding strat.I can't find much info on the net about these apart from them been sold in the UK for 699pound and I'm in New Zealand so i don't know how many of this model like mine are in New Zealand i only know of one other in See thru Blonde and gold Hardware.
img62362.jpg

img6239x.jpg

img6218p.jpg

img6238d.jpg

img6222z.jpg

Gorgeous!

That's a Mary Kaye Tribute Strat.
She played a guitar like that in 1956, it became the first Custom Shop Fender.
An original is worth big bucks.

Put a Fender decal on the headstock of your guitar and the price will quadruple. :D

Amazing guitar, I want one.

Here's the Fender version.

mary_kaye_strat.jpg

Yes thats one big reason I brought the Tokai I have always liked the Mary Kaye strats,everyone who's played this just love it and reckon its better than the USA Fender Strats and one mate has gone and brought one of these tokai's he was so impressed with it.

I make one change with the Tokai TTE and TST (Vintage headstock) models.
I have them made with larger 6105 frets instead of vintage frets.
Same 7.25" neck radius, just larger frets.

That's my favorite look for a Strat, I once had a Fernandes Mary Kaye model, wish I hadn't sold it :(

Where are they selling these in the UK?

Just found out today that there were only 2 of these imported into New Zealand and a mate of mine has just brought the other one,funny thing is we both live in the same town.His one has a serial number and my one doesn't unless its hidden under the neck plate or somewhere else.

Philw said:
Just found out today that there were only 2 of these imported into New Zealand and a mate of mine has just brought the other one,funny thing is we both live in the same town.His one has a serial number and my one doesn't unless its hidden under the neck plate or somewhere else.

I saw one TST strat which come to my country without serial number, just with "Made in Japan" in back of the neck, like yours. All other ones come with serial numbers.

stratlt said:
Philw said:

I saw one TST strat which come to my country without serial number, just with "Made in Japan" in back of the neck, like yours. All other ones come with serial numbers.
Yes I have heard that some have serials some don't unless they have put it somewhere else on the guitar and you have to take the thing apart to find it.

Double trouble a photo of my Tokai ST50ag on the left and a friend of mine's ST50ag (Right) only difference is my one doesn't have the serial number and my friends st50 has different grain patterns in the wood more like sharp zig zag grain patterns.Both the same in weight and these are the only known 2 "Mary Kaye Tokai's here in New Zealand that were imported by the NZ Rockshop last July.
img6317lq.jpg

"
I can't find much info on the net about these apart from them been sold in the UK for 699pound
"

?699 is for the standard TST 50 with a 3 piece body, the 'Mary Kaye' Blonde with Gold hardware is ?899 and is a 2 piece body.

prudd said:
"
I can't find much info on the net about these apart from them been sold in the UK for 699pound
"

?699 is for the standard TST 50 with a 3 piece body, the 'Mary Kaye' Blonde with Gold hardware is ?899 and is a 2 piece body.
Thats nice to know that works out in New Zealand dollars at $1747.00.A MIA Standard Fender Strat retails here for around $1900 mark.

Philw said:
prudd said:
"
"

Thats nice to know that works out in New Zealand dollars at $1747.00.A MIA Standard Fender Strat retails here for around $1900 mark.

It seems that everything is more expensive here in the UK :cry:

Here are a couple of pics of my Mary Kaye TST:

tstmarykaye003.jpg

tstmarykaye015.jpg

tstmarykaye007.jpg

tstmarykaye012.jpg

Its a beautifull guitar, superbly made and sounds great, to be honest though Im struggling getting used to the maple neck, so not sure if Im going to keep hold of it or not. Im just so used to rosewood I suppose.

Latest posts

Back