Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Love Rock wiring mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Love Rock wiring mod Reply with quote

This may be a long shot, but has anyone tried (on a love rock or any twin-humbucker guitar) wiring all 4 coils of a pair of humbuckers in series?

I'd be interested to know how it sounds as I love unusual wiring arrangements there's a tone pot on my LR that's begging to be push-pullified.
nakamichi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Custom Wiring Reply with quote

In fact the coils on a humbucker are already in series. If you wire both humbuckers in series you'll get a higher output and horribly dull sound.

It's more interesting (but not very) to split the coils on a humbucker. Neither fish nor foul (fluoroescents and your computer monitor will suddenly be part of your sound!).
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already coil-tapped them and have an out-of-phase switch

Just thought it'd be an interesting thing to try - and I really want to find something to do with my last non-push-pull pot!

How do you mean 'horribly dull'? Would it make a difference if they were wired in a different order? Have you done the mod, or heard a guitar that has it?
nakamichi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

I'm struggling with this. your question was about wiring the humbuckers in a Loverock in series. Pickups are strange things - if you want clarity and brightness you need a single-coil pickup with individual magnets. If you want power with clarity you go for a Fender humbucker with two coils and 12 magnets, 6 of them with reverse polarity. Or a Burns Trisonic.

As soon as you start to wire pickups in series you come up against "capacitance" or "inductance" issues - the higher the "ohmage" count, the more you roll-off high frequencies.

As soon as I learned all this I started to enjoy playing whichever guitar I had in my hands and stopped farting around with all the combinations.

Guitars are like women, you can't get a perfect one. But NEVER stop trying!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: