LP Classic

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
to all les paul expert

Guys my apologies. this is supposed to be an orville thread but for an urgent inquiry I posted it here cause it involves a Gibson LP Classic which is also a product of the same manufacturer of Orvilles.

would like to seek authenticity of this from expert here.

1. It has a no made in USA at the back of head stock and serial number is ink print in four digit.

2 TRC has classic but says " Les Paul Model" on head stock.
3. Kindly take a close look on the Gibson inlay on headstock. Is it original?

Pictures here for your reference.

I would appreciate any reply

thanks

LP4.jpg

LP3.jpg

LP1.jpg

LP2.jpg

Gibson LP Classics didn't have "Made in USA" on the back of the headstock.

What is the serial number - I can't make it out?

It could be a Gibson with some mods, the earliest LP Classics had 4 digit serial numbers.

That serial is right for a 1990 Classic - one of the earliest Classics.

This is copied from Gibson:
Les Paul Classic: This model features an ink stamped serial number with no "MADE IN USA" (just as we used on the original 1952-1960 Les Pauls). Most will be 5 to 6 digits in length, but the earliest examples feature 4 digit serial numbers. There should be a space after the 1st digit with the 4 and 5 digit serial numbers, and no space with the 6 digit numbers.

The 1st digit indicates the year of manufacture for the 4 & 5 digit serial numbers, these were used from 1989-1999. The 1st and 2nd indicate the year of manufacture for the 6 digit serial numbers which we've been using since 2000.

Examples -
9 xxx = 1989 (4 digit number beginning with "9" used only in 1989)
0 xxxx = 1990
9 xxxx = 1999
00xxxx = 2000
05xxxx = 2005

Those beginning with "94":
In 1994, Gibson's Centennial year, many instruments have a serial number that begins with "94" for the year, with the remaining 6 digits indicating the ranking number.

There was a small few from 1989 apparently, but I have only ever heard about one.

They are good guitars, and were getting quite valuable before the GFC. There's a couple of small mods, but nothing major.

Affirmtive. I used to have an early Classic Gold Top, inked serial was meant to look like the real vintage ones.
Jackplate & knobs are replaced on this one, how does she sound and weigh in?
Mine was heavy, heavy!

Back