• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Laundry list of Japanese guitars I seek to own before long!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubbsdarcy

Reaction score
Hi folks, how are you all doing my friends?

Just thought I'd throw out a list of some of my favorite old guitars which I am actively seeking and see if any of you good folks would have one of these that you would care to part with. Please PM me any prices....Thanks guys!

Darcy

Greco RG-120 old style fireglo Rickenbacker 360 12 string replica
Alvarez 5052 sunburst Gibson J200 6 string replica
Ibanez Rocket Roll Sr. natural 58 Gibson Flying V replica
Greco SS800 cream 3 pickup Gibson SG Custom replica
Greco EGC 750 white Gibson Les Paul Custom replica
Greco SA 550 sunburst Gibson ES 335 block inlay replica
Ibanez 2388 fireglo Rickenbacker 4001 bass replica
Greco ES 175D natural Gibson ES 175 replica[/list]

I am from Quebec, Canada...the lower north shore, down the St. Lawrence river, just across the straits of Belle Isle from Newfoundland island, near the Labrador border.

You are? me too only closer to the Montreal area...still have a sister in St. Bruno on the south shore.

I asked you that question because I got the following request this week....

" My Name is Mr Allen Turner from United State,I will like to buy your item for my uncle in Nigeria and I will offer you $2,000.00USD for the item, Kindly reply me through Email for further conversation ([email protected]). Thanks. "

Not the first time they`ve contacted me, cheeky buggers.

I know what you mean sneakyjapan, those guys never quit do they?

I've always had a few of the old '70's "lawsuit" Takamines (I hate that expression-they didn't all result in lawsuits, did they?) so I've been aware for some time that Japan put out some decent instruments back then.
I've played most of the big names and have owned quite a few over the years, and when it gets right down to it, playing these old Grecos and Tokais on gigs only makes sense! I leave the collectibles at home and I take the replicas to the gigs. I've been fortunate enough to find some decent instruments which play well, sound good and stay in tune and really, what more can a weekend warrior playing cover tunes in a bar band ask for? Honestly, aside from my dream of owning a honest to goodness Ricky 12 string someday and maybe a Gretsch, I no longer have any desire to count my pennies for the big names anymore. Bring on the Grecos and the Tokais!

Unfortunately, you will be competing with the rest of the planet for guitars with those names now, bit late to the party...should have bought those 10 or more years ago when they were more reasonably priced...even Burny`s have been swept up in the feeding frenzy...not all that long ago people laughed at em. But you might get lucky and find a deal though they are much fewer and farther between on line nowadays...I`m in a smaller Japanese city and still find bargains sometimes...picked up a used Navigator LP type a few weeks ago for 68,000 yen...unheard of in a city like Tokyo for example...but up here there are not as many people looking and sellers are sometimes less sophisticated about what they`re selling so it is possible to find an outstanding bargain but those odds drop drastically if you`re only looking on line...too many people all over the world doing that now. Good for selling though and thats whatI`ve been doing for the past 2-3 years...selling off many guitars from the brands that have become so popular now.
Bonne chance mon vieux...

Merci mon ami!

There is no doubt that I am late joining the party. I have no one to blame but myself for that since I could see the prices rising all the time and the really great deals were becoming less common and had all but dried up.

I got my first '80's japanese standard tele back in '97 for a couple hundred bucks. Then I got an '80's japanese standard strat back in '99 off a buddy when I paid his bar tab one night-gave him the chance to pay me back so he could get his guitar back, he never collected so I kept the guitar. Next, I got my hands on an '80's japanese resissue rosewood tele like George Harrison last year off a buddy who traded with me for a little Fostex 8 track recorder. Far as my Fenders are concerned, I did alright.

Paid a little more for my Taks, a pair of 12 strings and a 6 string-an '83 F389, a '79 F400S and a '79 F360S-and paid around $500 for each of them, which was well worth it to me at the time.

If I'm lucky, I may still find a deal now and then, although as you said sneakyjapan, they will be harder to find since the cat has long gotten out of the bag with these guitars...Anyways, half of the fun is the search anyways! :)

Thanks guys!

Yeah I have a rosewood tele too....very cool guitars. So...you have been lucky, me too...these days I only buy if it`s an offer I can`t refuse. Too bad we can`t all go back in time and buy up more of the old MIJs that have become so popular...still, I can`t complain, I have/had more than my share over the years...which is why I have been selling off so many and will just keep the very best.

Just out of curiosity sneakyjapan, have you ever heard of a brand called Quest? I used to have this 4 pointed sunburst guitar with a bolt on "ebonized" neck and fretboard, 6 in-line headstock, black hardware, a hard tail bridge,and a couple of split coil humbucker pickups with push/pull pots for coil tapping. This thing was called the Quest Atak V. Must have been from the last eighties. Was just wondering if you or anyone else around here ran across something like this before.

There it is japaxes! With the exception of the maple neck, there's my first guitar! Bought it when I was 14 for $90 with a couple of sets of strings, played my first gigs with it for a couple of years, and I wish I had taken better care of it and held onto it. Played it through a '89 Fender Eighty-Five amplifier with a couple of Arion pedals, and as I recall at the time it sounded pretty good. Had those great split coil pickups with the coil tap switches. Held its tune quite well too! Thanks japaxes!

That was a great little amp, wasn't it bluesyrat?
I bought mine off of a buddy of mine who didn't use it for $150....
Believe I bought it within the same month as I bought the Quest Atak V, and I used the both of them together on many gigs in the first 2 years of performing at bar gigs...
I remember the overdrive being a little raw and on the ratty side, but it was still pretty sweet for George Thorogood style rock and roll and the clean channel with a my tele plugged in was probably the cleanest little sound I'd ever heard up to that point.
I wish I had that little amp back today. I bet it would sound pretty sweet with a good clean tone and my BOSS ME50 stompboard plugged into it...that and a early '00's Peavey Transtube Studio Pro 112 and you've got two of the toughest, most portable little workhorse amps you could ever hope to have!

Latest posts

Back