thinking of refinishing the back of my EGF-1200

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
the back is kind of banged up.I was thinking about having it refinished. It might actually help with the value? I don't think it would lose any value because of the condition,Do you think I should spend the dough and have it done?here's one pic of her:

MVC-023S.jpg

edit:

maybe just have the back of the neck refinished only?

MVC-019S.jpg

does look pretty banged up

if you have it done, get it done properly!

though if you are looking to sell it soon, you will probably find that the refin will cost more than the extra you'll make selling it in better condition... if that makes sense?

either way, what's the top like?
playability? neck size?

Used and well worn guitars have more value to my eyes.
I have a 1200 on the way and she looks very worn on the back.
But I will never refinish it.

I was thinking the same thing.That would definitely up the value for sure.You think it would be about 300 for a case?

Well is the neck comfortable to play or are you hitting snags/speedbumps that impair the playing on the neck ?Then i might consider some type of neck refinish. I wouldn't refinish the body, those scars have been earned and won't affect how it plays. My 2 cents anyway.

I'd say if you had no plans to ever sell it and the neck really bothered you wen playing it would be worth a refinish. A properly refinished back with thin nitro wouldn't be too much of a negative to me.

By the way, how much do those Super real cases go for in good condition anyway?

I haven't seen a super real case for sell in 2 or 3 years..
The last one I'v seen was for a SA1200 and it's not the same as EGF's case.

I saw one sell for around that price last year on eBay I believe.
Tokai green lining cases (I have one) sell for around $150 - $200, and the EGF-1200 pink lining "lifton" style cases sell for around $250 - $300 I would think.

Juni41 said:
I haven't seen a super real case for sell in 2 or 3 years..
The last one I'v seen was for a SA1200 and it's not the same as EGF's case.

the back of the neck doesn't bother me when I play it,and the shape of the neck itself is wonderful,but I am wondering if I would like to play it even more with a nice finish.The back would be strictly for looks.not that important really,the top is still pretty nice.I'll have to see about the price of a neck refinish only and then make a decision.

grecotop.jpg

I'd say go for a neck refinish only. For your playing enjoyment and also for resale, the condition of the neck is much more important than the body. People want tops that look good (yours certainly does to me) and they want necks that are free of defects for playing reasons. I've never had someone back away from a sale because of a little buckle rash or some lacquer chips on the heel unless they were looking for a mint guitar and for EGF-1200s, those are pretty darn rare.

well I got a reponse from Marty,

Larry , I think I would advise to not refinish any part of the guitar if its as collectable as you have been told ,I am a fan of the Greco and Burney Les Paul's,and have owned two Greco Les Paul's myself, I think they are every bit the Les Paul as most of the newer Gibson's and in general like Japan model guitars , we do around 20 guitars a month and I get to see construction and paint work of all types and the Japan stuff is right at the top with the best ,so if your keeping the guitar and want to retain its resale value , don't touch it , leave it alone , it will always be worth more in its original state unless its been completely trashed , then a quality refin will reinstate its value, this one is not completely trashed and I would leave it alone and enjoy it,thanx for the inquiry.
Marty

I guess I will leave it alone :oops: and focus on finding a case for her. :)

Back