Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greco eg700 thoughts please

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bustah
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Greco eg700 thoughts please Reply with quote

I won an auction on ebay recently [not yet paid] can I have some expert thoughts and opinions please on this before I pay please. thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360439386275?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_917wt_1344

The serial on the back of the headstock I'm assuming is sepr '79' would that be correct? and does it look right to you guys?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
greco_burst
Guitar God


Joined: 17 Apr 2009
Posts: 558
Location: Brisbane, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Greco eg700 thoughts please Reply with quote

bustah wrote:
I won an auction on ebay recently [not yet paid] can I have some expert thoughts and opinions please on this before I pay please. thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360439386275?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_917wt_1344

The serial on the back of the headstock I'm assuming is sepr '79' would that be correct? and does it look right to you guys?


It's a nice guitar, EG-700 from September 79, is actually a copy or duplicate of the norlin era guitars gibson made, the sellers comments cracked me up after reading Greco were one of the Japanese companies (Tokai was another) that cashed in on the poor quality of US-built F*nd*rs and G*bs*ns in the late 70s , ironic, these seller descriptions just get better and better

But as the buyer you have a nice guitar!

The EG-700 Greco made back then, have some of the nicest plain tops IMHO, nice pickups, and nitro finish on the pre 1980 EG-700 I am sure....

Congratulations
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bustah
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Greco eg700 thoughts please Reply with quote

greco_burst wrote:
bustah wrote:
I won an auction on ebay recently [not yet paid] can I have some expert thoughts and opinions please on this before I pay please. thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360439386275?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_917wt_1344

The serial on the back of the headstock I'm assuming is sepr '79' would that be correct? and does it look right to you guys?


It's a nice guitar, EG-700 from September 79, is actually a copy or duplicate of the norlin era guitars gibson made, the sellers comments cracked me up after reading Greco were one of the Japanese companies (Tokai was another) that cashed in on the poor quality of US-built F*nd*rs and G*bs*ns in the late 70s , ironic, these seller descriptions just get better and better

But as the buyer you have a nice guitar!

The EG-700 Greco made back then, have some of the nicest plain tops IMHO, nice pickups, and nitro finish on the pre 1980 EG-700 I am sure....

Congratulations


Thats great to hear! many thanks for the reply.

p.s do you know which pups are likely to be in this? I will post some pics when it arrives.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8764
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guitar.... pretty finish too. What's the weight on it? Some of the early ones were kind of hefty
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bustah
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Nice guitar.... pretty finish too. What's the weight on it? Some of the early ones were kind of hefty


Hi thanks, I havent received it yet but should be on its way soon, I will post pics, weight etc when it arrives.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
greco_burst
Guitar God


Joined: 17 Apr 2009
Posts: 558
Location: Brisbane, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, would expect the pickups to be quality Maxon U-2000, which would likely have a date stamp on the back of 6 digits, and i too would like to know how heavy she is, thank you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
soundcreation
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....you won an auction but you were deciding if you wanted to pay?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jacco
Guitar God


Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 2871
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the same thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bustah
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course not I just wanted to know if it was genuine, no one else bid both bids were placed by me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bustah
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guitar arrived today. I never owned a Greco before but man this thing is beautiful! It oozes quality. Lovely plain top, a few dings and knocks on the back but nothing for me to worry about. I'm very impressed with it, it's much nicer than it looked in those pics on the auction.

I will take some pics tomorrow and weigh it etc [it is heavy though, for those who wanted to know] I havent plugged it in yet but the neck feels great to play! I'm very happy so far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group