Building a lefty tele

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuniorEnthousiast

Reaction score
I suddenly realized I still hadn't posted my new project here... I must apologise!

Here goes;

The plan is to end up with a tele that looks like (kinda) this;

leftyfromscratch.jpg

there's no ashtray in the Kisekae software I used so you'll just have to imagine it on there.

Body will be Northern European pine that getting from a table top. A heavy sucker and that pine is tough as nails.

IMG_4231-1.jpg

Neck will be one piece maple, or (... if thicknessing doesn't go according to plan) maple with glued maple fingerboard.

IMG_4230-1.jpg

Here's what I purchased/aquired so far;

IMG_4236-1.jpg

IMG_4233-1.jpg

Rough cut and ready to be thicknessed. I'm going for approximately 45mm in thickness like my '84Tokai Breezysound. Just guessing it won't be as heavy as that one is.

IMG_4235-1.jpg

This is what I'll be working with and what I hope to get to that vintagy yellow.

'Thicknessed' the wood for the neck;

IMG_4239-1.jpg

IMG_4241-1.jpg

Need a straight, smooth edge and since I don't own a jointer, but do have a routertable (the same handheld B&D router is in that);

IMG_4244-1.jpg

^^^ This is just a known and measured straight piece, doublestick taped to the neck blank to act as a guide to straighten it up with a template following bit.

Anyone has any questions or if you need additional pics, jump right in.

This is what I'm looking for;

IMG_4245-1.jpg

The truss rod channel routing jig;

IMG_4246-1-1.jpg

Drew a line, parallel to the straight edge on the blank, put the template over it and matched up the centre line on it. Marked the outline and nut position off of the template. Put the TR on the blank and marked off where it should go. Set the edge guide on the routerbase so that the bit will follow the line I drew. Set stops in the right locations and... Channel is routed;

IMG_4249-1.jpg

Here's that bit to accomodate the 'bullet end'.

IMG_4250-1.jpg

Trussrod channel is routed, neck is roughed out and ready for template routing.

IMG_4251-1.jpg

Routed the neck pocket;

IMG_4260-1.jpg

After this shot I cleaned up the little ridge on the bottom of the pocket there. Hadn't seen or felt it after routing, glad it showed up in the pic.
back to some neck work; I'm using this TR;

IMG_4264-1.jpg

Coated the threads with some candlewax to prevent it from being glued tight;

IMG_4266-1.jpg

And it's in clamps now;

IMG_4268-1.jpg

Maybe I better get organazized;

IMG_4262-1.jpg

My bud Oigun helped me out big time by letting me use his drumsander to thickness a strip of maple left over from the neck blank to the right size use as a skunk stripe.

IMG_4269-1.jpg

IMG_4271-1.jpg

Albino skunk. Too bad that one grain line decided to turn left... true lefty skunk. :roll:

IMG_4272-1.jpg

At least I achieved a tighter fit than I did on the first tele I did.

I finally got round to carefully drawing the tuner postions on my neck template and centre punching them even more carefully. Then onto the drillpress table to make IndexHoles;

IMG_4312-1.jpg

Stick-taped the template to the neck and drilled pilotholes;

IMG_4314-1.jpg

6mm for vintage tuners followed shortly after;

IMG_4315-1.jpg

LUV THIS MACHINE!

How'd I ever get by without it?

IMG_4321-1.jpg

IMG_4323-1.jpg

Layed out the frets for a 25"er. Need a tele that'll let me bend 11s up a whole step on the second fret without ripping my fingertips off. Or stringing up 9s.

IMG_4325-1.jpg

IMG_4327-1.jpg

marked the locations for the dots;

IMG_4328-1.jpg

I used a fence on the drillpress table to allow myself to exercise more control over the neck. Straight as an arrow;

IMG_4347-1.jpg

I'll be glueing the dots in and while they dry I might just get started on the stringthru holes.

Not very scientific, not even very safe... Recutting fretslots;

IMG_4363-1.jpg

To depth;

IMG_4364-1.jpg

Two or three swipes with a triangle needle file, using little to no pressure;

IMG_4365-1.jpg

IMG_4366-1.jpg

Cut a piece of fretwire from a roll and bend it ever so slighty using thumbs and forefingers. I press the ends into the slot to have it seat like so;

IMG_4370-1.jpg

Then lightly tap the ends with a soft hammer and work from the middle of the fret to tap it down;

IMG_4371-1.jpg

IMG_4373-1.jpg

Today I bolted the bridge on the body;

IMG_4404-1.jpg

To allign it I stretched a line from the middle of the nutslot to the butt of the body, centered over the neck. Apparently during neckmounting centreline has shifted somewhat so that's why it looks the bridge isn't positioned right.

Bolted down the bridge and used the holes to centrepunch the locations for stringthrough channels;

IMG_4406-1.jpg

Those aren't absolutely straight, can't rely on this Wilkinson bridge to be straight. I knew that ahead of time, don't worry, it'll be OK.
These 6 locations got drilled halfway through the body. Then used the IndexPin to locate the two outermost holes. Put the bridge on and used two nails (same diameter as the holes in the body) to secure it;

IMG_4408-1.jpg

Again used the holes in the bridge to mark the other 4. I know, I know... they won't be 100% straight, calm down. It'll all be OK in the end (here's to hoping eh?);

IMG_4410-1.jpg

Being stubborn and headstrong I drilled through all the way to the holes on the other side and waddayaknow... they all hit home!;

IMG_4411-1.jpg

I failed to shoot a pic of the light coming through the holes cuz it's a bi-atch holding the body to the light and pointing the camera, but if anyone insists (and I know someone will...) I'll do my best to please you.

Tomorrow I'm 'constructing' the jig I have planned to allow me to drill for ferrules abso-friggin'-lutely straight. I'll be testing that contraption on scraps first. Fingers crossed please...

This would be the idea;

Board with a line square to the base rides along the fence;

IMG_4413-1.jpg

On this board I fix the body so that centreline is alligned with the line on the board;

IMG_4412-1.jpg

Now I adjust the fence so the drill is directly over the holes' centreline.

Not before this afternoon though. There's a couple ?? to be made and scraps to be practiced on.

popcorn_jo.gif

Got home, took a scrap from the box, drew lines and positions, taped to the 'jig' and went for it;

IMG_4415-1.jpg

Hmm, they're straight, just off the line... wuzzup with that? Oops, didn't clamp the fence right.
OK corrected that;

IMG_4417-1.jpg

straight and on the mark. Well, here goes nothin';

IMG_4419-1.jpg

Worked! here's a close up;

IMG_4418-1.jpg

=phew=

Latest posts

Back