Breezy Sound advice wanted.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felixcatus

Reaction score
I?m looking at a 1983 TE-80BL that?s for sale. Is it authentic? What do you guys think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeferrara/sets/72157621996698285/

Thanks in advance.

Hey,

that?s the Ebay One. It?s been there for quite a while.

I think it?s authentic for a Tokai Breezysound, BUT it?s not a TE-80. btw the Volume and Tone Knobs have been changed ;)

TE-80 should have a 3-saddle Bridge and TE-A (or TE-Vintage) pickups.
The pickups in this one are stamped TE-B ( = Vintage MKII pickups, as far is I know) So that?s the same pickups that come in a TE50 breezysound

look here for a model breakdown, which may be correct (or not :) ) (page 8 ) http://www.tokaiguitar.de/1.php?pageid=13&tplid=2

It really could be anything between a TE-50 and TE-70, it may still be a beatiful guitar, but not a TE-80 ....
honestly, for that money I?d start looking at Fenders

Best Regards,
Len

Thanks, that's some good info.
Yes 1000,-? is too much, but I was planning to make a lower best offer. I?ve got a Fender Tele, but I would like to have a Tokai.

I?m looking for a vintage Breezy because I assume they have a thicker neck profile, not the modern ?C?.
PS: the only reasonably priced modern Fender I feel comfortable with is a Baja.

Hey lifeline,
what?s the meaning of the neck codes at all ?
When did the minus in the neck code appear ? I have also seen neck codes with an =

Len said:
Hey lifeline,
When did the minus in the neck code appear ? I have also seen neck codes with an =

I think that is an = but the bottom line didn't take up ink on the stamp. We are not sure of the meaning of the codes but in some cases they do represent the model number (for example 7 = 10 on an "70" spec guitar).

For this guitar, I would prefer to have the spaghetti style early logo, but that's just me. The blonde finish is nice.

felixcatus said:
I?m looking for a vintage Breezy because I assume they have a thicker neck profile, not the modern ?C?.

My 1981 TE-50 has a thin neck for sure.

Hi Len, you recently helped me identify the 6 saddle Blonde Breezy TE50 I sold recently, also 6 six digit serial beginning with a 2. This had a minus neck code and a C neck. I believe the guitar was late 84 or 85.

I'll stand corrected, though from what I own and have observed the = codes appear to be used up to a change over period in 1984, before Tokai started using dot (sometimes with an equals body code) and finally minus.

Best regards

jacco said:
felixcatus said:

My 1981 TE-50 has a thin neck for sure.

Rosewood or maple fretboard?

Maple, had the neck refinished in nitro.

DSC_060701.jpg

Nice one.

I asked because I read on this forum that the maple fretboard necks are fuller than the ones with a rosewood fretboard.

jacco said:
I can measure it for you, if you like?

Thanks for the kind offer, but those figures wouldn?t mean much to me since I have no other references. I would have to hold it in my hands, the old fashion way. :wink:
One thing I know, I have a ?80s Hohner Tele that I really don?t like, the neck is much too thin. My Baja?s soft ?V? feels much more comfortable.

Well there's 2 things, profile & thickness, they both do something with the feel of a neck. A 'V' profiled neck with the same thicknes of a 'D' profiled neck obviously feels less thick than the D neck because it lacks shoulder.
Regarding thickness; my Breezy is slimmer than the average 1960 burst profile (compared with BOTB).

Cali Girl said:
Len said:
Hey lifeline,

I think that is an = but the bottom line didn't take up ink on the stamp. We are not sure of the meaning of the codes but in some cases they do represent the model number (for example 7 = 10 on an "70" spec guitar).

For this guitar, I would prefer to have the spaghetti style early logo, but that's just me. The blonde finish is nice.

7=10 means a "70" spec. model, i thought it meant 10th day of the 7th month, the day it was produced.

I?ve got a Breezysound TE-50 (sticker on Neck) 84/85 Logo, serial 20xxx
Neck code is 2 19 (yes, no = , - or dot inbetween, maybe they tried to save costs by using less ink on the cheaper models :) )
Body Code is 1=15

I don?t really think the neck stamp equals model number thing is correct, if there?s any meaning at all it could be the production date ( 2 19 = 19th of February)
So this would make my guitar an early 85 if this source is correct (any opinions on that ?) http://www.tokaiguitar.de/content_images/SN1.jpg

But I?ll definately keep looking for the neck and body stamp anytime I restring a Tokai now. Some things about tokais we will never know for sure :)

Best Regards,
Len

Hello Len
Sorry for late reply to your post, due to a busy period last few weeks. I just posted about codes in a new topic yesterday.
Re: the ?No in between code? Breezysound TE-50 Serial 222170 had no in between code in the Control Cavity 6 18, Neck PU cavity 6-18,Neck code 6=13
Recently for sale in the US was a mid 80?s AST62 body Serial 22995, This body had BOTH Minus and equal codes: Neck pickup cavity code 8-4 O, control cavity 8=4 BL V

Best Regards,
Peter

Back