Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here is where the lines get blurry

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wulfman
Guitar God


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 869
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Here is where the lines get blurry Reply with quote

I just noticed an auction by the Guitar Shop (http://www.theguitarshop.jp/auction/ls-proto.html) which is Tokai's shop in Hamamatsu. The auction is for a prototype that was made in Korea and finished in Japan, but otherwise has the usual MIJ characteristics.

The auction address is here: http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h160512751

According to the auction description the production up to the guitar finish was done in Korea and then everything else including the nut, fretboard, frets and wiring was done in Japan.

In any case, I am sure it is a typically fine Tokai guitar, but a sign that maybe they are thinking about a cheaper production system now. If the prices are cheaper, so much the better I guess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freebird
Guitar God


Joined: 10 May 2009
Posts: 374
Location: Amherst, New York

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave_Mc
Guitar God


Joined: 08 Oct 2008
Posts: 916
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh-oh

edwards here we come, i guess
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
singemonkey
Guitar God


Joined: 19 May 2009
Posts: 222
Location: South Africa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to imagine that everything short of premium moves to mainland Asia barring the premium line. A bit like Burny?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rayspang
Guitar God


Joined: 21 Dec 2006
Posts: 85
Location: Houston, Texas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Tokai Reply with quote

Korean quality has been improving by leaps and bounds in the recent past. (Think Hyundai) However, the labor cost in China would be cheaper than Korea I would think?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
felixcatus
Guitar God


Joined: 03 Nov 2010
Posts: 1199
Location: Antwerp, Belgium

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
They (Hyundai) are years ahead in electronic diagnostic equipment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Diamond
Guitar God


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 1655
Location: ZA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Here is where the lines get blurry Reply with quote

wulfman wrote:
I just noticed an auction by the Guitar Shop (http://www.theguitarshop.jp/auction/ls-proto.html) which is Tokai's shop in Hamamatsu. The auction is for a prototype that was made in Korea and finished in Japan, but otherwise has the usual MIJ characteristics.

The auction address is here: http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h160512751

According to the auction description the production up to the guitar finish was done in Korea and then everything else including the nut, fretboard, frets and wiring was done in Japan.

In any case, I am sure it is a typically fine Tokai guitar, but a sign that maybe they are thinking about a cheaper production system now. If the prices are cheaper, so much the better I guess.


I sent an e mail to Shohei asking about this guitar.

I know you guys would love to speculate and create your own "truth" about this one guitar, sorry, not on my watch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Diamond
Guitar God


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 1655
Location: ZA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's put this one to sleep.

"It is a prototype guitar and we sell it only in Japan.
The quality is not stable and we do not continue to make the guitars."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dave_Mc
Guitar God


Joined: 08 Oct 2008
Posts: 916
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent news
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mick51
Guitar God


Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Posts: 719
Location: Urbandale, Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond wrote:
Let's put this one to sleep.

"It is a prototype guitar and we sell it only in Japan.
The quality is not stable and we do not continue to make the guitars."


Meanwhile, somewhere in Canada..


_________________
There is no revolution, only evolution..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave_Mc
Guitar God


Joined: 08 Oct 2008
Posts: 916
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Diamond
Guitar God


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 1655
Location: ZA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick51 wrote:
Diamond wrote:
Let's put this one to sleep.

"It is a prototype guitar and we sell it only in Japan.
The quality is not stable and we do not continue to make the guitars."


Meanwhile, somewhere in Canada..



He might be able to pull off a MIC/MIK Fakai, but he'll never pull off a MIJ Fakai...the Japanese Tokais have a quality signature that you just can't copy.

It's like Hyundai trying to make a Toyota...no ways.
My last car was a Hyundai Elantra GLS, very cool car, but after 6 years it was falling apart.
My current car is a Toyota RAV4 2001 model, it's like brand new.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group