Peter Green Manalishi Pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusnieman

Reaction score
From our good friend Larry Corsa at CV Guitars (the US distributor of Faber hardware components)..... I've been considering a set of these for awhile..... here's the technical side:

http://www.cvgshop.com/p75/Manalishi-Pickups/product_info.html

And one of several video clips he has up on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqHf2AvU7rI

He also fully mods and sells guitars.....

Hi Marcus,

I tried some of these in my 1980 LP Navigator a while back along with some Fralins. I'm very impressed with the work done by Larry and the sound he gets out of the guitars he builds. I also love the sound of the P90s he's doing as well now. However, I do think the sound depends a lot on the guitar itself and he says himself, or used to, that he gets the best results from particular Gibson Les Paul faded guitars. I tried these and Fralins in my Navigator but in the end went back to the MkII Tokais that I had in originally and still have fitted.

Dave

DaveWW said:
Hi Marcus,

I tried some of these in my 1980 LP Navigator a while back along with some Fralins. I'm very impressed with the work done by Larry and the sound he gets out of the guitars he builds. I also love the sound of the P90s he's doing as well now. However, I do think the sound depends a lot on the guitar itself and he says himself, or used to, that he gets the best results from particular Gibson Les Paul faded guitars. I tried these and Fralins in my Navigator but in the end went back to the MkII Tokais that I had in originally and still have fitted.

Dave

Thanks Dave.... I'm looking to try some different pickups in my Bacchus Classic Series LP..... the stock pickups are great but a little dark for me. I actually have three sets here that I can play with..... some MKII's, a set of Antiquities and a set of Seth Lovers..... maybe I'll start with those first.

marcusnieman said:
Thanks Dave.... I'm looking to try some different pickups in my Bacchus Classic Series LP..... the stock pickups are great but a little dark for me. I actually have three sets here that I can play with..... some MKII's, a set of Antiquities and a set of Seth Lovers..... maybe I'll start with those first.

If it's darker, my experience is that neither the Antiquities or the Set Lovers will do it. Since you are US based like me, I would suggest trying a pair of either Peter Florance's VooDo 59s - or 60s if you want a bit brighter - or Wolfe McLeod's (Wolfetone) Dr Vintage. Takes a bit of looking, but you should be able to find a used pair of either (or both..).

Mick51 said:
marcusnieman said:

If it's darker, my experience is that neither the Antiquities or the Set Lovers will do it. Since you are US based like me, I would suggest trying a pair of either Peter Florance's VooDo 59s - or 60s if you want a bit brighter - or Wolfe McLeod's (Wolfetone) Dr Vintage. Takes a bit of looking, but you should be able to find a used pair of either (or both..).

Thanks Mick.... I like the MKII's in my LS150 but I've also heard great things about the Wolfetones.... problem is that there are so many good choices these days.

I would try the Voodoo 60s then, not the 59s for they were too dark sounding for my taste.

jacco said:
I would try the Voodoo 60s then, not the 59s for they were too dark sounding for my taste.

I guess it also depends upon the guitar, wood, etc. Don't get me wrong, the Bacchus pickups are amazingly good - especially the neck - just darker than I'm used to.

Some decent soundclips on youtube of the Wolfetone Dr Vintage
(I prefer to listen to them played clean without any effects so I can hear what they really sound like)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZu5Ah16fA&feature=related

The Voodoo 59's sound great in this 335 (but it's a 335 not a Les Paul). His website says the 60's have a little more top end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhDLatae_w

Latest posts

Back