• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1998 Orville by Gibson 59' Les Paul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phantom

Reaction score
Should the phantom sweep!!!!!!!!!
you be the judge

thoughts?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/2745125553.html

Looks pretty sweet to this Canadian, but where in Canada are you ?? KC is a bit of a drift away from me and most of the rest of us, i take it they will ship to Canada but then you also have to add shipping and taxes as well. I'm no expert on Orville's or any other guitar for that matter but if it's a high end model i would think you'd still come out ahead. Comes with a nice case which is also a bonus and must be counted as well. Do you know how much it weighs ??? I've always heard the people on the forums like the Orville by Gibsons more and they command a higher price. I suppose the Phantom has already thought of such things though. Can you tell anything by the serial # ???

No not yet still waiting on info.
Weight is gonna be a huge factor.
Lets wait and see.

Phantom

Looks hot but an international Craigslist transaction long distance would have even me questioning my sanity :)

Thanks guys, I did have a regular Orville LP before and ended up selling it.

Phantom

Which brings me to the next one. What do you guys think of this one?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/2777094675.html

Also any chance any of the OBG's had Brazilian or am I dreaming.

Phantom

You mean this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orville-Gibson-Les-Paul-Stand-/330665438224?pt=Guitar&hash=item4cfd322c10#ht_500wt_1413

No feb, lower end model

Hi Guys,

When I saw the header I thought to myself, are we spotting a fake ObG here since no OBG's were made in 1998 (only until 96 if I remember well, please correct) but then I saw it was an ordinary photo flame Orville.

Those Japs just had a fettish about those photo flames. It probably looks quite good in real life but just a bit over the top to most people probably. All that being said, those Fujigen Orvilles are **** fine guitars. For the money, probably one of the best buys all round, if not better :D

The second one, that Terade ObG I am not so fuzzed about. Nothing special about that one, but that is a matter of taste. In general though I hate that stupid expression "all American hardware". Everyone by now should know that Orvilles and Orville by Gibsons use exactely the same JAPANESE hardware (tuners, bridge, tailpiece) and the only difference is the PU's. Personally speaking I'd rather buy a Fujigen Orville and put '57 Classics in them than buying a Terrada ObG, but that is just my humble opinion having them owned both at the same time.

However, bring those adds on so we can all have a look at what is for sale at the mo.

My beautiful ObG Fujigen made ES-335 is on Flea bay, now that is one heck of a guitar! :lol:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Orville-by-Gibson-ES-335-Fujigen-Made-rare-guitar-near-mint-condition-/280800198306?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4160fefea2

Cheers,

Joop

Hi Joop :wink:

All the best for you in 2012 :wink:
Just to let you know that your Reborn is very busy since weeks now and my 3 other guitars are retired for the moment :lol: I am addicted to the DiMarzio PAFs and this neck is totally right while OBG is pretty thin and the Greco a baseball bat.When I think about the pair of early 80s DiMarzio super distortions offered here from Gabe not long ago for 40 pounds and I missed them... :cry: :evil:

t.olsen said:
Hi Joop :wink:

All the best for you in 2012 :wink:
Just to let you know that your Reborn is very busy since weeks now and my 3 other guitars are retired for the moment :lol: I am addicted to the DiMarzio PAFs and this neck is totally right while OBG is pretty thin and the Greco a baseball bat.When I think about the pair of early 80s DiMarzio super distortions offered here from Gabe not long ago for 40 pounds and I missed them... :cry: :evil:

Hi Timo, thanks and of course the same for you! Glad to hear my Reborn is giving you so much joy. If those Super Distortions were truly vintage then you could have made your LS100 Reborn into an LS150 Reborn, since that was the only difference between the LS100 and the LS150 the neck SD instead of the PAF. However, you like the current sound so why change a winning team....

Greetz,

Joop

Vintage tone requires time, not technology....

Timo, I have owned 1978 SDs and they are miles away from the quality of the DiMarzio PAFs.

Back