Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has buying Tokai stopped you buying Gibson ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
S58CL-IAKOT
Power chords are my friend


Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Has buying Tokai stopped you buying Gibson ? Reply with quote

Gibson and BMW, its all about the name on the headstock or the badge on the bonnet. I got my ivory white LC85, took the tuners off it and fitted brand new gotoh non locking rotomatics and a bone nut cut for 11-49 string gauge. When I remember my old ivory white Gibson Les Paul custom , which was a cracking guitar, and what it cost compared to the LC85,it makes me feel ill. When I think of historic gibsons ive owned and how much they cost , that makes me feel ill too.

Next guitar I buy will be another LC85 in ebony, yank the tuners off, get a bone nut cut for 11s and its good to go. Impeccably built and consistant and its all good.

Will my credit card take another hit for an overpriced Gibson......absolutely not, especially when you consider the crap that dealers have to put up with gibson like not allowing to sell tokai guitars alongside.............shameful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
f5joe
Guitar God


Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Posts: 534
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee USA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gravitated away from the top end Tokais since they now approach $2k and well above. I have four Historic LP's that I bought for under $1850 each. Great values in used Historics can be had.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Diamond
Guitar God


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 1655
Location: ZA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f5joe wrote:
I've gravitated away from the top end Tokais since they now approach $2k and well above. I have four Historic LP's that I bought for under $1850 each. Great values in used Historics can be had.


Interesting.
Many guitarists claim how a Gibson is an investment, yet a new Gibson "Historic" loses half it's value the day after you buy it.

Gibson USA models should be made like the "Historic" models and in the same factory, the "Historics" are not special, they're made the way any Japanese guitar factory makes it's guitars.

No need for a "high end" Tokai, an LS92 and 98 is as good as a Les Paul can be. IMO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Diamond
Guitar God


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 1655
Location: ZA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Has buying Tokai stopped you buying Gibson ? Reply with quote

S58CL-IAKOT wrote:
Gibson and BMW, its all about the name on the headstock or the badge on the bonnet. I got my ivory white LC85, took the tuners off it and fitted brand new gotoh non locking rotomatics and a bone nut cut for 11-49 string gauge. When I remember my old ivory white Gibson Les Paul custom , which was a cracking guitar, and what it cost compared to the LC85,it makes me feel ill. When I think of historic gibsons ive owned and how much they cost , that makes me feel ill too.

Next guitar I buy will be another LC85 in ebony, yank the tuners off, get a bone nut cut for 11s and its good to go. Impeccably built and consistant and its all good.

Will my credit card take another hit for an overpriced Gibson......absolutely not, especially when you consider the crap that dealers have to put up with gibson like not allowing to sell tokai guitars alongside.............shameful.


All Tokais come with bone nuts, cut for 10-46 string gauge...even the Chinese made Love Rocks have bone nuts.
You didn't need to change the nut, just needed to be re filed for thicker gauge strings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
f5joe
Guitar God


Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Posts: 534
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee USA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond wrote:
f5joe wrote:
I've gravitated away from the top end Tokais since they now approach $2k and well above. I have four Historic LP's that I bought for under $1850 each. Great values in used Historics can be had.


Interesting.
Many guitarists claim how a Gibson is an investment, yet a new Gibson "Historic" loses half it's value the day after you buy it.

Gibson USA models should be made like the "Historic" models and in the same factory, the "Historics" are not special, they're made the way any Japanese guitar factory makes it's guitars.

No need for a "high end" Tokai, an LS92 and 98 is as good as a Les Paul can be. IMO


I agree wholeheartedly with most everything you say. The Historics are special amongst its Gibson bretheren though. But, I like my Historics a whole lot! Love my '82 LS-70 GT too. It all works, as they say.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JVsearch
Guitar God


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 2017
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f5joe wrote:
I've gravitated away from the top end Tokais since they now approach $2k and well above. I have four Historic LP's that I bought for under $1850 each. Great values in used Historics can be had.


Exactly my experience - used Historics can be a pretty good buy, especially if you're in the USA where there's a wider selection available.
_________________
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cali Girl
Guitar God


Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Posts: 545
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no, it depends on the individual guitar. If I like the guitar, the feel, the sound, the construction, and the price is a good enough value for money then I will certainly be open to playing and then buying.

Every manufacturer (and each guitar) has their strengths and weaknesses. I have seen problems with Tokai guitars, they are not all perfect. Luckily we have many choices to try and find what works best for ourselves.

It is getting harder to find value at the prices some Tokai guitars trade for these days! And for me part of the fun is the challenge of locating a certain Tokai model. Gibson production and custom guitars are plentiful enough here in the USA, but there aren't a lot of LS-120 guitars to be found, that is for sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
f5joe
Guitar God


Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Posts: 534
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee USA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali Girl, I agree ..... the hunt is fun. Harder these days with a lot of folks now tuned into Tokais.

I sold a couple of FINE LS-120's from the early period. But, to me, and as good as they are, I enjoy my Historics more. Not throwing off at all. Just my personal tastes.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Diamond
Guitar God


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 1655
Location: ZA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali Girl wrote:
I would say no, it depends on the individual guitar. If I like the guitar, the feel, the sound, the construction, and the price is a good enough value for money then I will certainly be open to playing and then buying.

Every manufacturer (and each guitar) has their strengths and weaknesses. I have seen problems with Tokai guitars, they are not all perfect. Luckily we have many choices to try and find what works best for ourselves.

It is getting harder to find value at the prices some Tokai guitars trade for these days! And for me part of the fun is the challenge of locating a certain Tokai model. Gibson production and custom guitars are plentiful enough here in the USA, but there aren't a lot of LS-120 guitars to be found, that is for sure.


How many current LS160s have you played in the USA?
Actually, how many LS92 and 98s have you played in the USA?

If you find an LS120 on eBay will you buy it blind, without feeling it, hearing it and checking the construction of it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
f5joe
Guitar God


Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Posts: 534
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee USA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond: I bought a used 2008 LS-230 Koa topped Love Rock a couple of years ago. It was nearly perfect in its construction. I regret selling it now. The 'new' Tokais are very well done. (speaking of high end MIJ's, of course.)
_________________


Last edited by f5joe on Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dave_Mc
Guitar God


Joined: 08 Oct 2008
Posts: 916
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much

though for the stuff i play, i want the gibson-style guitars to be pretty good value- they're not really aimed at the main styles of music i play, so I was never really going to drop ?2k+ on a custom shop gibson anyway. If i were, I'd still check out the gibsons along with the higher-end tokais.

as has already been said, the tokai prices have been rising a lot recently, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BLAM
Plucker


Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Location: Sussex, UK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in the UK the question needs reversing as a well known shop in South Yorkshire that used to sell Tokais here now can't/doesn't and it's a bit of a bummer.

However that aside and while I like the Tokai I already have my answer is no. I will buy more Gibbies next year, probably second hand because the market for them is way down but I'm going to look at nabbing an R7 and an R0 at some point.

It won't stop me buying more Tokais either (assuming I can find them!) FWIW but I'm just answering the OP's question.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8774
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage Gibsons? No but who can afford them? Only vintage Gibson I have is a 69 ES150D (335 shape, ES175 thickness and master volume on lower bout) but I am jonesing for an old ES330.

Current Gibson's? Depends on the guitar and how it plays and sounds. I will admit I have a few current ones for that reason:

SG Classic (P90's)
SG Faded (with Burstbuckers)
61 SG reissue (with full Faber upgrades - best sounding SG I've ever played)
50's Tribute Les Paul (P90's)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ACY
Guitar God


Joined: 03 Jun 2006
Posts: 276
Location: Bavaria

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Gibson themselves stopped me buying Gibsons!
_________________
Only hot Bias is a good bias!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jacco
Guitar God


Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 2871
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh, yes indeed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group