OBG 1991 G-Serial

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Below is a description of a age white custom OBG which am about to buy for $1,100.00

Looks nice. Don't know if pick ups are USA made.

Any comment from expert here.

Thanks, your comment would be a lot of help for to to decide on this.

==============================================

RARE 1991 G-SERIAL
ORVILLE BY GIBSON
LES PAUL CUSTOM IN AGED ALPINE WHITE
ALA RANDY RHOADS
KILLERRRR TONEEE.... ON THE SPOT
FEATURES:
NITROCELLULOSE FINISH
IN BETWEEN 50'S AND 60'S NECK PROFILE. (NOT TO FAT NOR TOO SLIM) IT'S ONE OF THE SMOOTHEST LP NECK I EVER PLAYED.
Bone nut
Binding: Multi-ply binding on top, back, neck,
and peghead
Hardware: Gold
Bridge/Tailpiece: ABR-1 bridge with stopbar
tailpiece
Pickups: Two GIBSON Classic PAF humbuckers (PAT. NO. 2,737,842) STAMPED also known as " the 1962's T - BUCKER"
Controls: 2 volume/2 tone/3-way selector
switch
Fingerboard: Rosewood with pearloid block inlays
Other Features: Pearloid split-diamond
headstock inlay

obghalf.jpg

obghs-1.jpg

obghsback.jpg

obgpup.jpg

obgbody.jpg

Seems like a fair price.... here's the scoop:

G, J & K beginning the serial numbers denote that is was made by the Terada factory: the "G" ink stamp means the guitar should have Gibson
USA pickups, and "J" for Japanese pickups. K stands for Kuramae, Yamano's wholesales division.
No letter beginning the serial number = FujiGen Factory-built.

I'm sorry to post here in other cause but i have the same humbucker form my obg, it has the same pat no and this wood in the hole at the back of the pickup, and the dc says 13,44 so it this too t-bucker ???

In the early days of ObG, they used mostly Bill Lawrence or TM490 pickups. They dropped BL's soon after and started using 57 Classic's in reissues, FM and QM models, Japanese made GOTOH's in the lower end models.

" the 1962's T - BUCKER"

Not very accurate. 1962 Gibson HBs are post-PAF, pre-T-Top. These appear to be very late T-Tops, pre-Shaw.

Pardon my suspicion; maybe the seller is just poorly informed. But, lie about one thing, lie about something else.

Mick51 said:
" the 1962's T - BUCKER"

Not very accurate. 1962 Gibson HBs are post-PAF, pre-T-Top. These appear to be very late T-Tops, pre-Shaw.

Pardon my suspicion; maybe the seller is just poorly informed. But, lie about one thing, lie about something else.

Hi, don't think the seller is lying. At least he shows the PU's as they are mounted, he perhaps just doesnt' know the right name (and neither do I). The one thing he does do is call them Classics referring to the '57 Classisc and that, they are definitely not.

I would always go for a Fujigen guitar (no letter serial number) because IMHO those are the best guitars.

Hope this helps...

Greetings from Portugal,

Joop

Vintage tone requires time, not technology....

Back