Bacchus BFV-58 (I think) what do I have here?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TattooedCarrot

Reaction score
Took this in trade on another issue and not 100% sure what I have. Previous owner was in the US Navy and bought it in used Japan back around 2003. He said it is a Japanese made BFV-58 (mahogany) and suggested its worth $500-$600. Its a pretty nice guitar. The body is slightly thinner than a real Gibson, and the finish is pretty thick so I'm sure its poly. The case in the pics is an old beat up Hamer V case, I do not have the original case or bag or whatever it might have come with.

Can anyone tell me more about this guitar, and what it might be worth? I was thinking of selling or trading it and wanted to make sure I represent it properly if I do.

Thanks!

002.jpg

007.jpg

003.jpg

011.jpg

004.jpg

008.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

017.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

005.jpg

Very nice! I think that this serial number would date it pre 1999. Don't see them very often, I only know of 2 others with a Bacchus V from this period and one of them has a korina body.

Nice guitar there, in fact I have the same model myself. They are excellent guitars and I would say $600 would be more or less what they sell for here used in Japan. I think the finish may be poly but the mahogany on the neck and body is quite nice with that finish.
Mine is #100820.

I own a dozen Bacchus guitars, I started buying them about 12 or so years ago, maybe a bit longer ...mine are all from the first run vintage series...don`t own any of the newer stuff...as far as I know there is no certain way to date them by serial number, some of mine have 4 and 5 digit serials so they go back a ways...but I still have all the warranty cards that came with mine so I can ballpark when they were made...that serial looks a lot like the 6 digit numbers on some of mine as well on on those I used to see in the local Laox store, when it was open...they went out of business and so my access to Bacchus guitars got cut off...until recently when the Rock Inn in this city began stocking some of their current offerings. In my opinion, and it`s only my opinion, they make fine guitars...I`ve seen a LOT of them over the years and never seen a bad one, they are very consistent...or were...I don`t really look the current models over very carefully since I am not really buying guitars these days, been more in a selling mode.
Lucky for you there has been an awakening on Bacchus guitars...when I was buying mine nobody wanted them, even in Japan, so I was getting them for much less than retail price...Laox staff told me their branch was the final destination for them, they`d been to other branches and didn`t sell so they sent them up here to the boonies where I bought them because I found them to be exceptionally well made and they made me offers I couldn`t refuse...and thats why I have so many, had others that I sold over time...but down to 12 now...no V`s however but the humbuckers are more than likely the same models that are in some of mine and they sound good to me...but I`d wager you would have no trouble selling that one off due to the fact that lots of players are reading about them on English web sites and want them even though they`ve never seen one in person...so don`t sell yourself short, it may not be one of the really sought after models but it is still a Bacchus...and people are looking for them overseas.

Yours was 1 of the 2 I was thinking of Harold :D

Sneaky, what do the warranty cards on your 6 digit 100*** serials say what year they're from? I heard from one guy that contacted Deviser that 101*** serials start in 1999.

Thanks for all the help. Everything I've read so far about Bacchus makes me wonder why they even bothered to serial number these at all since there appears to be no meaning to them.

Latest posts

Back