Just got a 84 ST-50, its a noisy beast...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlovee

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I picked up a '84 st-50 on ebay in nice condition but she's not nice to listen to. Ackkk. Super noisy plugged in. You can hear the pickups but only barely.

I haven't had the soldering iron out for awhile and I was wondering where you guys might recommend I start looking for the fix.

I took the pickguard off and everything looks ok, no obvious grounding issues...Any ideas? I have a ohm meter if that helps.

thanks in advance,
T.

ps. Once I get this fixed up I'm planning on doing a 'shoot out' with my Greco Early Sixies model and post it on youtube.

Before you try all the circuit trouble-shooting, the volume pot can sometimes cause problems. I've had that on Goldstars and I dunno if it is a bad ground connection from the pot to the brass shielding plate caused by it working loose or a little corrosion from contact between dissimilar metals. Sometimes a little push one way ot the other can sort it but I would definitely check that first if you delve in with your multimeter. Good luck!

Make sure the output jack is clean. Corrosion there can cause the problem you are hearing. Some sandpaper around the inside and contact cleaner will do the trick.

mirrorboy was right, thanks!

There was a lot of resistance showing at the solder point on the back of the volume pot so I re-soldered it.

Much quieter now. Cool. :)

There is still some buzz when I have the volume all the way up but I imagine that has to do with the lack of shielding right? If I decide its a keeper I'll give it the full shielding treatment.

I'll hit the input and other contacts with some electronic cleaner as long as I have it open.

thanks again,
T.

Oh, and in case anyone cares the resistance on the VII pickups were 5.8, 5.8, 5.5 (bridge).

Ok, here's some pics...
tokaist50frt.jpg

tokaist50back.jpg

tokaist50backplate.jpg

tokaist50head.jpg

I might have paid a little more then I should have but the guitar is in really excellent cosmetic shape. The bridge is a bit rusty but the finish still shines 27 years later. If it was an st-60 with a 7okai logo I would have had to pay 100s more I'm sure.

I have a output jack and 5 way switch on hand so I'm going to put those in and see how she sounds without all the noise.

T.

Don't change the switch if it's the original, they are the best. I suppose you know that strats are noisy unless you 'face mecca' :wink:

Ok, I kept the switch (sorry marcus) and cleaned up the output jack and now its no buzzier then any typical strat. The inbetween positions on the switch are a little imprecise but I can live with that.

It sounds great! I was expecting the U pups, I'm a big fan of those, but the V II pups are very nice also. It'll be interesting to compare it with my Greco Early Sixties model, my favorite sounding vintage mij strat to date. But that large headstock on the Greco, gahhh, I'll never like it.

T.

carlovee said:
Ok, I kept the switch (sorry marcus) and cleaned up the output jack and now its no buzzier then any typical strat. The inbetween positions on the switch are a little imprecise but I can live with that.

It sounds great! I was expecting the U pups, I'm a big fan of those, but the V II pups are very nice also. It'll be interesting to compare it with my Greco Early Sixties model, my favorite sounding vintage mij strat to date. But that large headstock on the Greco, gahhh, I'll never like it.

T.

That's the beauty of the Tokai switch.... it's pretty much a vintage three way but with a slight notch for the in betweens so you don't have to fish for the positions on the fly while you're playing.

Latest posts

Back