Difficult to identify Tokai Love Rock - Hello!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danyong

Reaction score
hi guys,
i'm new to the forum and i now have in my possession a tokai love rock les paul copy. i am trying to find information on identifying the date and location of where it was made.

it is cherry sunburst with the serial number 910 23 98. the serial number is NOT inked. hopefully it is a japanese model!

thanks to member jacco i can now upload the pics so here they are, hope they help!

daniel

2011-09-17183149-2.jpg

2011-09-17210818.jpg

2011-09-17210857.jpg

2011-09-17210834-1.jpg

Hey, nice guitar.
Definately looks Japanese to me. Serial makes it a 1991 guitar.

I?d suppose something like a LS70 or above because of the top (corrections welcome). But just check it with the specs in the registry
http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-gibson-models.html

I have a 1990 and the last serial number also starts to fade a little like yours ;)
At least the first numbers are readable well enough so we can find out when it?s made.

I suppose it plays well? are those pickups the original ones?

regards,
Len

hi len,
thanks for commenting. i am not too sure i picked it up second hand from some guy and he had no idea about the guitar. some poor bloke must have sold it without knowing its worth! the pick ups sound a bit noisy for my taste im thinking of replacing them with some dimarzio's what do you think len? will it lose its value if i do that? its not like i am 100% sure the pick ups are original anyway hahaha

don?t know about the pickups, it?s your guitar ;)

you can look inside the control cavity and see if the solder joints look very clean or if someone has resoldered the cables - this might give you an idea if the pu?s are stock
and take a look under the pickups too

the combination black pu?s with creme pu rings doesn?t look stock to me - but I?m no expert for that

have fun with your new axe!

regards

Yep, that's a 1991 serial number. We dopn't see many from these period, Korean production probably started around 1994, so most likely MIJ. Do you also have pics of the cavities?

yeah i suspected it was a 91 model. i found it difficult to find info on it since most of them were only about 90 models. i think it is a japanese one as well although i dont mind korean made instruments they are actually pretty **** good. has anyone had a chance to play any of the chinese tokai instruments?
i will post pics of the cavity soon!

judging by the missing screws and pick up covers i think the guy may have just taken them off as he also removed the pick guard... he did seem like he was clueless on the instrument... but no matter i think im going to go ahead and slap some dimarzio's on this beast haha

Latest posts

Back