Jazz Sound 45,60,etc.What are the differences?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejeannot

Reaction score
Hi Guys I am just about to buy an 1980s Tokai Jazz bass,How can I tell what model it is 45 ,60 etc?Also what would you say are the major differences between the different numbers?Are the the differences merely cosmetic or do the denote a real difference in quality of hardware etc?For example do the lower models have ceramic as opposed to alnico pickups as we find on Tokai strats?Thanks for your help.Gabe

bluejeannot said:
Hi Guys I am just about to buy an 1980s Tokai Jazz bass,How can I tell what model it is 45 ,60 etc?Also what would you say are the major differences between the different numbers?Are the the differences merely cosmetic or do the denote a real difference in quality of hardware etc?For example do the lower models have ceramic as opposed to alnico pickups as we find on Tokai strats?Thanks for your help.Gabe

The JB40's do not have ceramic crap (at least the older ones).

Info from the top of my head (should be right though):

JB40: tuners are attached with 3 screws
JB60: tuners are attached with 4 screws

The JB60 has two piece body and the JB40 has multi piece body

The
Note that JB45-48-50 have the same specs as the JB40 but they costed a few bucks extra cause of fancy colour, matching headstock and/or gold hardware.

This is what I have noticed on Jazz Sounds made up til 83-84.
I never buy newer ones so I have no clue about them.

Well, I've only owned three Jazz Sounds, but the biggest differentiating factor between them has been the weight - the lighter the bass, the deeper and more 'vintage' the tone!

Here are my three, from L to R, ascending in order of tonal brilliance, but ascending from R to L in model number and perceived value status.

The_Trio_05_799.jpg
:-? .

The morale of the story - play it and then decide ! :wink:

What would you consider a light weight and how light is your lightest and best sounding Jazz sound?Gabe.

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm going to say something stupid now :lol: .

The lightest of my three Jazz Sounds is the Olympic White one, which is also the cheapest, lowest model of the three (JB45). It weighs 8.3lbs, which actually makes it the lightest bass I've ever owned (well, until I bought this recently :wink:) ...

DSC_9441.jpg

Anyway, I have to admit that I changed the standard pickups for Nordtstrand NJ4s, right after I got it :oops:. Acoustically, the bass really sang, but the standard pickups (with tiny plastic-covered wires) sounded weak to my ears. Now, it really sings, resonates, sustains and gives me what I imagine to be the true 'pre-CBS Fender Jazz' tone!?

In fact, as I've found my ideal 'Fender Jazz', I'm now thinking about selling off my other Tokai Jazz Sound (the black JB45/60 pictured above, don't know the exact model), as I have to cut back my bass collection to just three units . :cry: The metallic red one in this picture was a truly amazing collector's Tokai - a minty condition (apart from some fret wear/stoning) JB60, but I let it go because it weighed a full 9.5lbs :eek: !

So, know you can see why my honesty was so 'stupid'. Soon I'll be offering my (95% original) black Jazz Sound for sale and every serious Tokai enthusiast will have read this post and realised that I'm selling it because (to me at least) it's not 'the best' Tokai I've got :-? .

Still, I'm fanatically pedantic, so no normal person would care to split the hairs that I split when I get involved in searching for 'the perfect bass' :lol: .

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks for an illuminating and informative reply.Will you be selling your your Blackie on E Bay?Gabe.

bluejeannot said:
Thanks for an illuminating and informative reply.Will you be selling your your Blackie on E Bay?Gabe.

I've got some other basses to sell first and depending on how that goes, I will be letting the Tokai go too. I will probably come here and offer it on the Forum 'For Sale' section first, but because I have no feedback here, it might be that I have to take it to ebay :( .

I can PM you and let you know if I decide to sell, if that would help!?

Not for me I`ve already bought mine but there will be others on here who will be interested I`m sure.Gabe.

This thread has some info on the early PB series bass specs. I'm not sure how much will apply to Jazz Sound but maybe it will help you.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18898

Well, I've only owned three Jazz Sounds, but the biggest differentiating factor between them has been the weight - the lighter the bass, the deeper and more 'vintage' the tone!

Here are my three, from L to R, ascending in order of tonal brilliance, but ascending from R to L in model number and perceived value status.

The_Trio_05_799.jpg
:-? .

The morale of the story - play it and then decide ! 😉
Looking to sell any of them?

This is a 13 year old thread. The member you are responding to has not been on this forum since 2013, so you probably won't get a response.

The dates of posting are in the blue bar on the left above each post.

I would say your best bet in finding the JB you are after is to look in Japan. I recommend you first read this thread:

Best Way to Buy a Tokai?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back