Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai ES-335 type guitars (80s models and recent models)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruno
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Tokai ES-335 type guitars (80s models and recent models) Reply with quote

What are your opinions concerning the old 80s models (ES-100 and ES-150) against the new production models like (ES-160 and ES-185).

I've personally owned a ES-160 and ES-185, and have played an old ES-100, to be fair, they were all quite similar, except maybe for the ES-185 which I though was a little better in terms of playability and response.

What's your opinion?
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of ES experience, but played plenty of old and new Tokai Les Pauls, In terms of quality/playability/sound there's not a lot to choose between similar level models, a new LS150 is pretty much on par with a LS80 Reborn. I do prefer the old oned as I like my guitars a bit lived in.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just prefer old Tokai necks over recent ones,it?s a different feel. One exception to this rule is LS-320 neck profile,I do love these with those frets.
RyanC
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played a modern Tokai ES, as my 1981 ES100RN gives me no reason to go looking around for another ES. It flat out kills, and the neck profile is very nice - slightly larger than the vintage Reborns I've owned...

Here she is...

wishbonz
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: '81 ES100 Reply with quote

Ditto Ryan, That's a beauty BTW - my faded cherry '81 is the best 335 type that I've played and that includes vintage Gibsons over many years. Nice fat neck, as you say, a bit chunkier than the Reborn LS80 and above.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto all that. My 81 ES100J is by far, the best playing ES335 I've ever tried.... Gibsons included. 81 was a very good year for these... first year of introduction too.
mohairhalo
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: navigator 335 Reply with quote

Hey guys

Sorry if this is a hijack..trying to work out where to post this...

I'm off to China soon and in contact with a guy selling a 335 type, Navigator as100. Its an 80's model but thats all i know about it. The guy wants a $1000 for it. Anyone know these and could tell me anything about it?

RyanC
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: navigator 335 Reply with quote

mohairhalo wrote:
Hey guys

Sorry if this is a hijack..trying to work out where to post this...

I'm off to China soon and in contact with a guy selling a 335 type, Navigator as100. Its an 80's model but thats all i know about it. The guy wants a $1000 for it. Anyone know these and could tell me anything about it?

If its got no issues, I'd say that's a very good price. Good luck and keep us posted!
mohairhalo
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers mate. I will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: