please help me identify Greco LP

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thickey1983

Reaction score
Hello all,

can anyone please help me identify what model I have? I believe it's from 1980 according to the serial number; 0 3720
It has a long tenon neck joint. I don't know if the tuners are original but they're gotohs. The pickups I know are not original, and it has new pots and wiring, although I still have the original pots if that helps. It's a solid body, pretty heavy. No idea what kind of wood it is. When I bought the guitar I was told it was a 1980 Greco Les Paul Custom.
Here's a link to a couple pictures:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v242/skateboarderth/Greco%20LP/

Any help is very very much appreciated, and let me know if you need more pictures or more info. Thanks a lot!

That is a 1990 Greco, made in Japan. Nice guitar, it should be mahogany body with maple top.

If it ain't a bolt-on neck, it's a EGC-600 from 1990 like Harold says. TRC has been changed too.

Thanks very much guys. No, it's not a bolt on. Unfortunately I'm hurting for money so I think I may have to sell it, so may I ask how can you tell? I'd just like to be able to back up the model number to any buyers.

Thanks again.

The headstock gives everything away;
-Diamond inlay; that type of diamond inlay starts in 1989 (up to 1982 normal split diamond, from 1982 to 1989 flower type diamond).
-Greco logo: open O logo starts in 1982, somewhere during 1990 closed O again
- 0 serial number is either 1980 or 1990, because of previous 2 points it's 1990.

In 1990 catalog there's 4 customs (excl RR models):
-EGC900D; maple top/maho back; zebra SD APH-1 pups
-EGC700: 3pup custom
-EGC600: like yours with maple top/maho back, screamin' pups
-EGC480: bolt on neck, basswood body

So yours still could be the 900D but then you should original SD pups to go with it.

Again, thanks so much. But how can you tell it's an EG-600? I'm really not familiar with Grecos at all, I had just seen this, played it, and fell in love. I know it does not have the fret-edge binding, although it does have a long tenon neck joint, and that's about the only two things I know of that would be factors in determining the model number.

Actually without the original pups it's very hard to determine if it's a 900D or 600. To my knowledge none have feb. So if yours has a 3P top, it's most likely a 600, with a 2P top I would tend to think it's a 900D. But you can never be sure. Both have a poly finish btw.

So I took out the bridge pup to see if I could determine the number of plys in the top, and it appears one of the previous owners has tried to determine the same thing as part of the finish looks like it's been sanded away. To me it looks like the top is a piece of solid maple, but then again I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Would you guys be able to tell how many plys there are in these pictures?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v242/skateboarderth/Greco%20LP/

thanks again for all your help.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but to me it looks like there's no center seam or seam at all in the pup cavity. That means either a 3P top or further off center seam (like on my RLC-65) 2P top. If so then I would be inclined to think it's e EGC-600.
If you to spot the seams the easiest way is to hold it in the light and look at it form different angles, you can spot them. front and back.
I think the sanding was done to determine if had a maho top, which it doesn't.

jacco said:
The headstock gives everything away;
-Diamond inlay; that type of diamond inlay starts in 1989 (up to 1982 normal split diamond, from 1982 to 1989 flower type diamond).
-Greco logo: open O logo starts in 1982, somewhere during 1990 closed O again
- 0 serial number is either 1980 or 1990, because of previous 2 points it's 1990.

In 1990 catalog there's 4 customs (excl RR models):
-EGC900D; maple top/maho back; zebra SD APH-1 pups
-EGC700: 3pup custom
-EGC600: like yours with maple top/maho back, screamin' pups
-EGC480: bolt on neck, basswood body

So yours still could be the 900D but then you should original SD pups to go with it.

Many 82-89 have the "correct" diamond.

I found it, went through your 1516 pics (you need to sort things out my friend) and it was a complete waste of time; only 1 cream custom from 1986 with the flower pot inlay, no 'correct' split diamond Greco customs there. Thanks.

jacco said:
I found it, went through your 1516 pics (you need to sort things out my friend) and it was a complete waste of time; only 1 cream custom from 1986 with the flower pot inlay, no 'correct' split diamond Greco customs there. Thanks.

Oh, that is only one out of 3 albums!

I have another one with 25k+ pics.

I'll look through it myself when I have time.

I found it, went through your 1516 pics

Wow that's enthusiasm.

Anything Jacco says should be considered seriously IMO as he's one of the best MIJ researchers out there.

wulfman said:
That is a 1990 Greco, made in Japan. Nice guitar, it should be mahogany body with maple top.

+1
Earlier greco inlays have the traditional gisbon type 5 piece split diamond inlay, but the verticle spacing is tighter than a gibson.

Later greco split diamond inlays are of 6 pieces, with the centre block being split.

Mick

sorry, been away from the comp for a couple days. Thanks so much for your guys' help. One more question, is it at all possible that it's not a custom? Is there any difference in the custom models versus the standards that came out '90? Again, sorry, but I just don't know anything about Grecos, or if the LPs even came in other models besides customs, so I apologize if I sound foolish :)

Latest posts

Back