ALS48, best guitar i ever owned.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tokrock

Reaction score
Hello, i am new here and recently bought myself a Violin top ALS48 '06. I think its Korean but have read many conflicting things about where these guitars are from. The serial number is FC0600943. I have looked on the registry page of the website and not seen the 'FC' code anywhere, can anyone provide any info? Is it Korean? Besides that its a fantastic guitar, played many a Gibson and this guitar to me feels better. Nice thin neck and the 'G' string never goes out of tune like all my other guitars. :)

Thanks man. After now having read a lot of the posts i see a lot of people asking the same questions as me :lol: you regular posters must get a bit sick of it i imagine. When it boils down to it its just my curiosity over the 'FC' letters and their meaning. In the shop there was a 'Made in Korea' sticker on the back but it was loose and when the guitar arrived it was gone. It was on sale for ?279. Just wondering if it was underhand dealings from the music store i got it from. Anyway, its heavy, feels and plays incredibly and glad i got it. I also own a '95 Mexican Strat, all US parts, superb guitar and a Yamaha SG 500B (Korean) and that is ace too. I sold my Westbury Deluxe to get this Tokai and glad i did even though that was a great guitar.

From what I've read The "FC" prefix stands for Fine Corp. which was/is a subcontractor owned factory that made the lower end Tokais under contract. It could be from Korea or China? Tokai supposedly switched to a different factory in China due to Fine Corp. raising their prices. It is my understanding that the non Fine Corp. guitars just have a serial number.

Thanks for that. It certainly does not sound/feel like a 'low end' Tokai but i see what you mean. I am aware the Korean ones are above the Chinese ones in quality but the MIJ's are top of the tree but i am sticking with my new prized possession :D Beats the **** out of paying over a grand for something that says Gibson on the headstock.

If it has an FC serial number prefix, it would be Made in China.

Fine Corp production moved largely from Korea to China quite a few years ago. Made in Korea Tokais will have "Made in Korea" painted in a contrasting colour on the back of the headstock and only some very few early models having a serial number as well.

Not to be confused with the "Make in Korea" Fakais, which can have a serial number.

Back