Orville Std?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Bought this few months ago. I know its 1994 Fuji-gen made Orville.

But I do not know the exact model whether it is a standard or a 58 copy.

Any help wil be appreciated.

Thanks

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g180/jericojuliolab/orville/

Above link is for the Orville

Here's a link to my Burny

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g180/jericojuliolab/burny%20FLG-120/

Thanks Jacco

I've never heard of a non "by Gibson" orville refereed to as anything other than just an Orville.

It's not a reissue if that's what you're thinking.

Thanks Soundcreation>

Reason for me posting this here is my ignorance. Not much knowledgeble on Orville models.

Really appreciate it.

I was just thinking it may be a model other than a standard Orville

no problem.

A general guide is...orvilles are just orvilles.

Orville 'by gibson' (as written on the headstock) models: The standards say "standard" on the truss rod cover. The reissues are like yours and don't say anything on the truss rod cover. And they have fret edge nibs.

There was no 58 Orville/ObG LP reissues. There was a 57 and a 59.

Couple of things to look for when you suspect you've found one

1. Fret edge binding
2. Black cavity covers
3. Gibson pups
4. No heal cap
5. Sometimes there will be a space after the first number, in the serial number. For example Fujigen will be 3 9999 and the Terada will be G3 8888. This being said, I've seen lots of reissues with no space in the serial number.

59R will have a veneer on maple top, 57C is a plain top and the 57B is the Custom reissue.

EDIT: There is also a 54 reissue that has P90's.

Thanks for that additional info Gammybird.

I suppose the 54 reissue with p90 for an Orville that you mention here is a Goldtop.

jericojuliolab said:

I suppose the 54 reissue with p90 for an Orville that you mention here is a Goldtop.

Seen those too have you? :) Yes gold and I've also seen them in black, they tend to be expensive.

Hi Gammybird,

Actually am expecting an Orville LP said to be arriving by early July.

Don't know the total specs yet but said to be:

1. A gold top with humbucker ( pup not known yet )
2. Made at Fujigen plant
3. a 57 reissue with five digit SN starting at 7
4. made in year 94 or 97

Will know the total specs once it arrives.

What other things I may have to look at on a Orville 57 reissue goldtop?

Many thanks for your unselfish advices.

Rgds

If it starts with a 7 it's a 1997 model. I don't think 1997 models are reissues. Those will have gotoh pups.

GammyBird said:
jericojuliolab said:

Seen those too have you? :) Yes gold and I've also seen them in black, they tend to be expensive.

I have had ObG's 54-models in gold and black which were non-reissues.

This is what is listed in the 92 Catalogue....Neither are listed as a reissue, but then again there isn't a 59R model in the catalogue either and we know they exist. There isn't a P90 model listed in either catalogue for 93, 94 or 96. I have seen Orville P90's before but does anybody know which year they were released?

ObGP90.jpg

GammyBird said:
There was no 58 Orville/ObG LP reissues. There was a 57 and a 59.

Couple of things to look for when you suspect you've found one

1. Fret edge binding
2. Black cavity covers
3. Gibson pups
4. No heal cap
5. Sometimes there will be a space after the first number, in the serial number. For example Fujigen will be 3 9999 and the Terada will be G3 8888. This being said, I've seen lots of reissues with no space in the serial number.

59R will have a veneer on maple top, 57C is a plain top and the 57B is the Custom reissue.

EDIT: There is also a 54 reissue that has P90's.

Sorry Gammybird but I think that not all of your points are correct in my humble opinion.
For example white cavity covers still could be a '59R but it will be a Terrada made one instead of Fujigen (who always used black), and the same goes for point 4 which also would point to a Terrada made guitar regardless of the model (they used the heel on many of their models).

What you describe apart from the fret edge binding(which should be on all 59R's) is a ObG Fujigen made '59R and not by all means any ObG 59R.

Ok?

regards,

Joop

Duly noted and excellent points...I haven't noticed any Terada made 59R's with white cavity covers. I will certainly watch for that from now on though.

Back