ST 40...what's it's top value...???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshallmk1

Reaction score
I've just bought an st 40 on ebay uk...

The thing is it was advertised as an ST50...it most definitely isn't a 50 though...it has the trapaziod tuners and flat pole pieces...

I paid ?405 and then shelled out ?35 in petrol to pick it up so in all it's set me back ?440...

The thing is that it is in museum condition...I mean absolutely mint...!!! It doesn't have a scratch or a mark on it...it looks brand new...for a 1984 guitar it's amazing...!!!

I'm wondering what what you guys think it's maximum value should really be...???

The thing is that the guy I bought it from imported it from Japan about 3 years ago and genuinely believed it was an ST50 but it looks like I've overpaid believing it was a different model...

I'm thinking of asking the Guy to give me ?40 back so I'm only out ?400...I saw an ST50 in worse condition go for ?510 last week and I would have gone up to ?500 for a mint ST 50...I think ?400 is probably ok for a guitar in the condition that mine is...and I do love it, sounds great and has fantastic sustain...not planning on selling it but looks like I did overpay through no fault of my own...:(

Well if the guitar is in mint condition as you say ,i would say ?350-?400 seems fair.
As for paying ?35 for petrol to pick that baby up,Shipping it to you within the uk would cost at least ?20-?25 ,i charge ? 25.00 for shipping a guitar in the uk,so thirty five quid is not far off.
Its a shame you did not consult or ask here before you brought it,really ,thats the most important point ,we are here to help :D and try to stop /avoid new buyers from being mislead or confused about future purchases.
I would be quite happy with a st-40 from 84,You could ask e-bay or take out a compliant against the seller ..Advertised as a st40,Item not described right !

I would just enjoy the guitar and forget about value...post some pictures for us !!!! please!!

MOJO HOBO

Well to be honest I've had it out with the seller and he assures me he was sold it as a 50 and he sold it in good faith as a 50...to be honest it is in such good condition it probably does rival most 50's out there apart form the pups...the burst is amazing and it's a very heavy guitar with immense sustain...as I said...it is in museum condition...there is not a scratch on this guitar...it looks as good as new...no buckle rash..no dings...no scratches ...nothing...as good as the day it was made...

It's 27 years old and an absolute beauty...I challenge anyone to find an ST 40 or 50 in the same condition...!!!

I tired to take some pics but I'll wait until tomorrow for natural light...

Never seen a guitar this old in this condition...it's like nos...totally amazing...

I know it hasn't got the pickups that the 50 had but it still sounds amazing...!!!!

CraigyJ

Marshallmk1 said:
I know it hasn't got the pickups that the 50 had but it still sounds amazing...!!!!

CraigyJ

So what were you expecting and what did it come with? You made no mention. You feel you overpaid for it.... by how much? The difference between and ST40 and 50 would be negligible - certainly not worthy of "having it out" with the seller. Doesn't sound like he intentionally misrepresented the guitar.

Well I was expecting An ST50 with Staggered alnico pole pieces and got the st 40 with flat ceramics...I only found out the difference after I got it home...but I have to say the condition for me makes up for it...it's totally mint...not a scratch...would have loved the ST50 but a 40 in this condition and 27 years old..I think I'm happy...!!!

Marshallmk1 said:
Well I was expecting An ST50 with Staggered alnico pole pieces and got the st 40 with flat ceramics...I only found out the difference after I got it home...but I have to say the condition for me makes up for it...it's totally mint...not a scratch...would have loved the ST50 but a 40 in this condition and 27 years old..I think I'm happy...!!!

Cool.... not all ceramic pickups are dogs.

I have to admit that this strat sounds bloody good...!!! I was planning on buying an ST50 and replacing the pups anyways...now I have most likely the best condition ST40 out there and it still sounds great...I don't think I've got a bargain but I think I got a whole load of strat for ?440...compared to a new Made in Mexico for a similar price I think I did ok...!!!

Ok so I'll post some pics as soon as I get some good light...tis true that all ceramics are not dogs...to me this strat sounds better than any US standard right now...

I was worried that it was a 40 rather than a 50...but now I think I just dont care...it's 27 years old and in NOS condition....Love this strat...

I gotta admit that rather than an unplayed ST40 I have the best one out there...

It's funny...my brother owns the best LS200 out there...and no he wont sell it...and now I own the best ST 40...Long live tokai...!!! :)

I argee with marcus :D the differences between a st-40 and a st-50 is just by a whisker,pretty much the same guitar,The pups and tuners if i recall correctly are the suspects.

If the seller sold it as a st-50 ,he really really believed it was a st-50 then fair enough!Not everyone knows about the registry .

Welcome to the tokai club...

MOJO HOBO

Having owned both (still got the 50) I concur with mojo hobo; the differences are the tuners - 'Deluxe' on the 50, chrome on the 40, pickups - ceramic on the 40 versus alnico VII(?) - and on mine at least, Tokai stamped saddles as opposed to Final Prospec on the 50. Apart from that, all the woodwork, electrics and hardware seemed identical.

Best photo I could take...think it shows the condition pretty well...

http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i429/Marshallmk1

Yeah...it's hard to show her true condition to be honest...I mean it's so good that under any lighting condition there is no spider webbing let alone actual scratches...I can only assume that she very rarely been played since new...there is also no fret wear...

I'm just waiting for someone to tell me Tokai are still making ST's with that headstock and logo and she's actually 2 years old... :-?

Does anyone know of a site with more definitive information than the Tokai registry...??? I've been looking on the Strat dating page and there is at least one glaring error which I've asked about in the feedback forum but got no reply...!!!

I'm really not sure I trust what's on the site...!!!

Marshallmk1 said:
Does anyone know of a site with more definitive information than the Tokai registry...??? I've been looking on the Strat dating page and there is at least one glaring error which I've asked about in the feedback forum but got no reply...!!!

I'm really not sure I trust what's on the site...!!!

Dude, first off, relax.... we know you're excited about your new guitar and that's great. It's a fine guitar. Play it and don't fret so much about the pedigree...

If you stick around here long enough, you'll learn that Tokai (and many other brands) had oddities in their dating and that will always make identifying them an adventure. The guitar you have was in the transition years for Tokai and there might have been some cross over.... of course guitars could be made in 83 to sell in 84... don't forget, these Goldies were only around for a couple years and there's going to be overlap.

I can tell you that there is no other forum even close to this one in terms of Tokai info

Ok...lol...I'll chillout...

The point I was making about the registry is that it states that 83 gold stars have the script logo...but then it says that 83 gold stars have the block logo...it doesn't say that they could be either...

I'm just slightly concerned because although I've started with a lower end Tokai I'll be looking into a higher end Springy in the future...I just don't want to drop a grand plus on something that isn't what I though it was...!!!

I had to pull out of a deal on a high end Fender JV for around ?2K a few months ago so I'm still in the market for something worth ???'s...

This is indeed a very sad day...not only did I find out that Gary Moore died a couple of months ago...not sure how I missed this...but I did...!!! (RIP) But also...The ST40 which has survived for 27 years without so much as a scratch...which I have owned for a mere 5 days has just come into contact with my bass...and OMFG...I've put a ding in the headstock...It's the first guitar I've ever owned which i've dinged...and it had to be the vintage one...!!! I could just cry right now...!!!

Why God...why did you do this to me...??? Was it because I put Homer Simpson before Jesus in my list of people that inspire me on Facebook...???

In the words of comic book store guy from The Simpsons...There is no emoticon to describe what I'm feeling right now...!!!!

Yes...a very sad day... :(

Back