Why is the neck joint/tenon not centered to the neck?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamond

Reaction score
Just wonder why it's like this, even on the original 50s Les Pauls.

See what I mean?...I'm sure there's a simple answer, I'm just too simple to figure it out. ;)

mediumtenonoftokais.jpg

tokaicatscan.jpg

I think it was from the way the jigs and fixtures were made at the factory so many years ago, by hand from hand-drawn plans.

Even the famous masterpiece Lloyd Loar F-5 mandolins have an off-center neck and some other known anomalies. I guess that's just the way they did it, and thankfully, it worked out ok :)

marcusnieman said:
Where'd you get the xray Diamond? That could solve alot of discussions

They were posted here, it's a Premium Series Tokai...btw, it's a cat scan.

tokaicatscan3.jpg

tokaicatscan2.jpg

tokaicatscan.jpg

Diamond said:
jonah65 said:
more tension on the heavier gauge strings need more support?

I like this theory...this could be it.

Except for the fact that there is actually not that much difference in tension across all the strings. The low A and D have the most tension on them, the rest are all pretty close - within a pound or so.

On a normal set of 10-46 strings the low E has about 17lbs on it, the G has about 16.5lbs and the high E has about 16lbs.

(this will vary with particular string sets of course, there are some that are almost the same across all 6 - balanced tension strings for example, yes they do exist, or light bottom strings)

Sorry...

My theory is that the shape of the LP body is the reason - the side that has the most body wood has the bigger contact with the neck tenon.

Does an SG or 335 have an offset tenon? Not on the Gibson ones I've seen. The original Gibson LPs only had a small amount of offset, not as much as Tokai.

Actually, have a look at this picture - pretty much makes it clear that the LP should probably always be built with an offset tenon (although this one by a hobbyist builder doesn't seem to be).
To my mind, more of the vibration from the neck is going to go into the upper part of the LP body than where the cut away is.

lpbodyplusneck.jpg

I'd always assumed it was because the cutaway side would end up with some very thin wood if the tenon wasn't offset, and the difference made for a chunkier piece of wood less prone to breakeage and easier to work with.

Diamond, thanks for the x-ray pics.
I had this purpouse since some time ago, just when pepejara did that to his Les Pauls.....

Which Premium series model was it?The tenon showed is similar to what Pacifix series P1&2 have......

luis said:
Diamond, thanks for the x-ray pics.
I had this purpouse since some time ago, just when pepejara did that to his Les Pauls.....

Which Premium series model was it?The tenon showed is similar to what Pacifix series P1&2 have......

I think the cat scan was an LS200F...and the first photo is an LS105Q.

Hey that first pic is my guitar!!! LS100Q, Check it out:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14679&highlight=pair+aces

The Koa top on the right is for sale in the classifieds btw :wink:

Hey Diamond very cool X-ray/cat scan pics btw. I've always been curious about the offset thing too.

Btw, guys, the cat scan photos were posted by Karppi...thank him, not me, he did those scans himself. :D

Latest posts

Back