Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nice
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Koubayashi
Guitar God


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 1544
Location: Tokyo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

Or not.

Too many of the Japanese Lesters passing through my hands look like this:


Note the 2mm gap between the neck and the body on the left side and the large cavity on the right side.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
t.olsen
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really not a masterpiece !
Back to top
Koubayashi
Guitar God


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 1544
Location: Tokyo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I heard the glue is superior
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mick51
Guitar God


Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Posts: 719
Location: Urbandale, Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's got a long tenon - it MUST be an amazing guitar!!

Sort of a bad day all the way around on this one. Any of several folks should have pulled the plug before it got out the door.
_________________
There is no revolution, only evolution..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koubayashi
Guitar God


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 1544
Location: Tokyo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick51 wrote:
But it's got a long tenon - it MUST be an amazing guitar!!

Sort of a bad day all the way around on this one. Any of several folks should have pulled the plug before it got out the door.


A bad day?

Seems to have happen more often.
I have had the "opportunity" to remove the fretboard on two and both had extremely mediocre craftmanship in the neck pocket.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JVsearch
Guitar God


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 2017
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koubayashi wrote:
Mick51 wrote:
But it's got a long tenon - it MUST be an amazing guitar!!

Sort of a bad day all the way around on this one. Any of several folks should have pulled the plug before it got out the door.


A bad day?

Seems to have happen more often...


That is the question!
We can't really say at this point that what you've discovered indicates a continual failure of QC or a policy of "close enough will do".

There could be some other explanations - maybe a junior person was doing their first neck set and were allowed to keep the guitar, then later it was sold.
Or it was one of a few bad ones that were marked for destruction, but staff took them or were allowed to buy them.

Any marks indicating "second" or something like that?
(I know Gibson has had this happen in the past - seconds did get out with staff and later got sold).

Yeah ok, I'm grasping at straws here, it doesn't look good.
_________________
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koubayashi
Guitar God


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 1544
Location: Tokyo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVsearch wrote:
Koubayashi wrote:
Mick51 wrote:
But it's got a long tenon - it MUST be an amazing guitar!!

Sort of a bad day all the way around on this one. Any of several folks should have pulled the plug before it got out the door.


A bad day?

Seems to have happen more often...


That is the question!
We can't really say at this point that what you've discovered indicates a continual failure of QC or a policy of "close enough will do".

There could be some other explanations - maybe a junior person was doing their first neck set and were allowed to keep the guitar, then later it was sold.
Or it was one of a few bad ones that were marked for destruction, but staff took them or were allowed to buy them.

Any marks indicating "second" or something like that?
(I know Gibson has had this happen in the past - seconds did get out with staff and later got sold).

Yeah ok, I'm grasping at straws here, it doesn't look good.


Well, perhaps an apprentice made a guitar every once in a while and the regular workers made a few mistakes once in a while, which of course is fully plausible. But I find it hard that the two I got to remove the frtboard from came from such batches. The chance/risk is just too small that it happens.

The first Burny look horrible. The other two looked alright in the p.u cavity but horrible under the fretboard.

My guess is that they weren't too fuzzy about things.

If I ever have the opportunity to remove a fretboard again I hope it looks good and has no horrible gaps on the sides of the neck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jacco
Guitar God


Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 2871
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The custom is the Burny I guess and looks like a Dyna made one. Those are the only Burny's I've seen this happen. late 80s, early 90s right?

The GT is not a Burny.
The burst can be a Burny, but only a 1992/1993 LG75GR model made by Fujigen.

I'm guessing they're all late 80s/early 90s models, not the best period of Japanese craftmanship.
Besides that: maybe it's also a matter of being lower end models
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Koubayashi
Guitar God


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 1544
Location: Tokyo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The burst is just what you pointed out.
The blue one was a late 80's Custom.

The Goldtop was a 1982 Mint collection Greco GT

To find flaws like these gaps in the neck pockets one usually must remove the fretboard. Both the Custom and the GT looked fine before I removed the fretboards but then I was rather disappointed.

My mate removed the fretboard on a 83-84-ish Mint Collection flametop and it also had "wide" gaps on the sides. Same mate also removed the fretboard on a Burny Super Grade GT from the first years and it had gaps as well.
I have no idea what models those were but I think the Flametop was a 65.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jacco
Guitar God


Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 2871
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, all lower end models so far. Interesting, hope you will post again when you find more.

Do you have pics of an original 50s G****n with stripped board?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Koubayashi
Guitar God


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 1544
Location: Tokyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacco wrote:
Ok, all lower end models so far. Interesting, hope you will post again when you find more.

Do you have pics of an original 50s G****n with stripped board?


Why do you think they put plugs on the side of the tenon on Super Reals

I haven't seen any stripped 50's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JVsearch
Guitar God


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 2017
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koubayashi wrote:
jacco wrote:
Ok, all lower end models so far. Interesting, hope you will post again when you find more.

Do you have pics of an original 50s G****n with stripped board?


Why do you think they put plugs on the side of the tenon on Super Reals

I haven't seen any stripped 50's.


Those were dowels weren't they, not just plugs? I would guess that the dowels are about a couple inches long on the Super Real joints?

I get the idea of using the system in that it increases the contact area between the neck and body joint and kind of locks the neck into the body, but it also adds extra glue joints.
_________________
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koubayashi
Guitar God


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 1544
Location: Tokyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVsearch wrote:
Koubayashi wrote:
jacco wrote:
Ok, all lower end models so far. Interesting, hope you will post again when you find more.

Do you have pics of an original 50s G****n with stripped board?


Why do you think they put plugs on the side of the tenon on Super Reals

I haven't seen any stripped 50's.


Those were dowels weren't they, not just plugs? I would guess that the dowels are about a couple inches long on the Super Real joints?

I get the idea of using the system in that it increases the contact area between the neck and body joint and kind of locks the neck into the body, but it also adds extra glue joints.


Well, why not do it properly from the beginning and make a neck that sits tight in the joint? No, of course not, precision costs money!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jacco
Guitar God


Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 2871
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think the dowel tenon LPs don't have a good neck fit. Do you have pics?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Koubayashi
Guitar God


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 1544
Location: Tokyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacco wrote:
Why do you think the dowel tenon LPs don't have a good neck fit. Do you have pics?


Would there be a reason to use such plugs if the neck and the pocket had micrometer precision?
I haven't yet had the pleasure to rip the fretboard of a Super Real EGF but I will when the opportunity comes.
Personally, I think they will look as shitty as the others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group