Need help identifying LP - no serial

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unnormal2

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I need some help identifying this Love Rock.

It has no serial number, but I was told that some early Korean ones had a sticker type serial number that was prone to coming off.

I got it used in March 2002, so I don't think it's a Dillion "Make in Korea". And it has a 3 screw truss cover and metal jack plate.

I am thinking a 2000's-ish ALS48 or ALS50Q maybe?

DSCN4817.JPG

DSCN4791.JPG

DSCN4788.JPG

DSCN4803.JPG

DSCN4814.JPG

DSCN4819.JPG

DSCN4806.JPG

DSCN4775.JPG

DSCN4779.JPG

not much help tbh but mines made korea no serial number but still has made in korea stamped on back of headstock but looks very simlilar to yours

carl300367 said:
not much help tbh but mines made korea no serial number but still has made in korea stamped on back of headstock but looks very simlilar to yours

What model and year is yours? Can you post some pics to compare?

Polarbear said:
Early MIK I think.

Do you know what "early" is? When did they start MIK?

Thanx

Basic info on MIK:

Korean production started around the mid-1990s. Tokai guitars made in Korea (MIK) are lower priced guitars, similar to the Korean Epiphone guitars. The MIK (Made in Korea) guitars can be differentiated by the truss rod cover. Japanese guitars have a two-screw truss rod cover whereas the Korean guitars have a three-screw truss rod cover (although some early Korean guitars also have two-screw truss rod covers). The MIK guitars usually have a different Nashville style bridge instead of the usual ABR-1 bridge. Furthermore MIK Gibson replica guitars usually have a neck made from maple and the body wood is usually made from either alder, agathis or nato.

Pretty much summed it up Marcus.

Doesn't mean they don't play well though ;) They play soooo much better than Epiphones.

Pretty much summed it up Marcus.

Doesn't mean they don't play well though ;) They play soooo much better than Epiphones.

The current ones are very cool guitars, with basswood bodies...a lot classier than Epiphones in every way, and they match Epiphone prices.

marcusnieman said:
Basic info on MIK:

The MIK guitars usually have a different Nashville style bridge instead of the usual ABR-1 bridge.

Is this considered a Nashville syte bridge because of the adjustment screw inserts, even though it has a bridge retaining wire on the saddle screws?

Carl, do you know approx what year yours is?
I noticed that the "a" in Tokai is closed on the top and open on the bottom on mine, but open on the top and closed on the botton on yours. Is this just a manufacturing tolerance, or did they have different variations on the logo over the years?

unnormal2 said:
marcusnieman said:
Basic info on MIK:

The MIK guitars usually have a different Nashville style bridge instead of the usual ABR-1 bridge.

Is this considered a Nashville syte bridge because of the adjustment screw inserts, even though it has a bridge retaining wire on the saddle screws?

Carl, do you know approx what year yours is?
I noticed that the "a" in Tokai is closed on the top and open on the bottom on mine, but open on the top and closed on the botton on yours. Is this just a manufacturing tolerance, or did they have different variations on the logo over the years?

Yours looks like an ABR - not Nashville. The second set of photos of the other guitar looks like it has a Nashville bridge.

The closed "a" in Tokai is one of the characteristics of the "unauthorized production" MIK Tokais. Some like to call these Fakai's, but I personally feel this is a gray area that raises more unanswered questions than real answers?

rayspang said:
The closed "a" in Tokai is one of the characteristics of the "unauthorized production" MIK Tokais. Some like to call these Fakai's, but I personally feel this is a gray area that raises more unanswered questions than real answers?
Oh do you now! :-? Gabe.

Well to me "unauthorised production" means just that, it`s not a grey area it`s a fake!Gabe. :roll:

Latest posts

Back