Some help with my tokai sg

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

this&that

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a new to these forums but I came because I needed some help with my guitar and this seemed to be the best place for help. So I currently own a tokai sg copy, however I am not sure of where it was made, what year or if it is legit or not. I bought this guitar from a used guitar store for about 300 or so because it was in great condition and I liked how well it was made compared to other epiphones I had tried. I tried looking through the registry but I never really found any information. So could you please help me? I have included some pictures of the body, headstock and back for insight. NOW, the thing here is the serial number is I guess printed on in sliver ink, it is not engraved like it would be typical in epis or gibsons. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to tokai so this is why I am here. The serial number is 050571, I would greatly appreciate it if someone came back to me with any information on it. Thank you all.

2vbkfbp.jpg

2a4zcap.jpg

2eyyxck.jpg

It's definately not Japanese, so that makes it either Korea or China.

Serial number suggests 2005 manufacture.

Not sure whether it's real or fake, I'm not an SG expert. Where in the world are you? That helps narrow it down.

Made in Korea or China...currently an SG43.

I'm not sure those tuners are an "upgrade", possibly a downgrade.:) ...I much prefer the MIJ Gotohs.

I live in toronto, canada. I bought the guitar and it had the original gotoh tuners, but the kept getting out of tune and rattling to much. So i took the time to change the tuners to the ones which are in the picture. And yeah I dont really know any information about it. I paid around 300 or so for the guitar and a genuine gibson hardcase (one of those oldschool rectangular ones). So i figured it was a good deal. But it has some chips in the paint from dings and hits and ive been wanting to completely change the paint scheme on it to a natural colour and maybe sand the neck down a bit.... but since i didnt know anything I was wondering whether it would be a good idea or not because of its value, and another thing would be the sanding of the paint would probably take away the serial number also. But thank you so much for the help so far, I really appreciate it. Would anyone know what kind of wood it is? is it nato or mahogany? Please continue the help, thank you all very much.

If it is chinese or korean it should be made from nato.You bought it it Canada says to me it is rather korean.Only the trc with one screw makes me wonder :roll: Canada is a place where fakes are common but I dunno if somebody will fake a guitar on this price level.What you do with your guitar depends on you : if you like her and she is a great player go for the changes you've planned.It would be another thing if you would own a rare japanese Tokai - changing parts and refinish means in this case always you loose a lot of value.But it's not japanese and if you think it is a keeper and worth the changes - do it ! :wink:

Thank you all so far. I appreciate it a lot. And yes, I got it and I started to plan to change it, right now I use it often as my main guitar because it plays so well. Many people have told me why does it matter what price it is or if its fake or not as long as it plays well. And well its true, I enjoy using it and it does play well. I don't think im going to sell it because its a pretty sweet guitar and you do not really find many tokais here anyways. Its pretty sweet to be apart from the massive epi/gibson bandwagon jumpers. So I think I might go about changing it and everything, but that you all very much for the help :)

Back