Japanese Fullertone Stroke 60's Relic

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Locrian

Reaction score
With the heated debate put aside please, here is a Fullertone Stroke 60's relic guitar. These guitars are made and sold exclusively at Musicland Key in Japan. I think Scoop and Fullertone do an excellent job at relics. I have a Nash ST-57 but I didn't post it.

marcusnieman said:
Very nice.... wonder why they didn't age the saddles and bridge plate.

They are. But it's more of a discoloration of the metal than a "hard Aged" rusted look. The problem with the aged Nash guitar I have is that all the parts are rusted to high heaven. The tuners are hard to rotate because of the rust build-up and the saddles feel like they are going to crumble any minute. I do like the craftmanship of a relic ( I only own two relics, the rest of my collection are beautiful new finishes that I try hard to keep them that way) but I think Function should comes before Form and maybe that's why the parts are sound solid... just my .02?

Don't get me wrong... I think it looks killer. It was just the angle and lighting of the original shot that made the saddles and plate look shiny new.

I agree that relics can kind of go over the top in terms of the aging process. Yours looks great. Nice checking in the finish too.

Bill Nash did the relic work on my Fender USA custom shop 65 reissue. It was the last guitar he worked on before he went strictly to making his own. I had him do a nice tasteful job on it:

158.jpg

159.jpg

Wow, that a really nice Fender Sunburst finish. And that is one of Nash's finer relic jobs--nice and light! Score on your part!
I love that version of Sunburst. I have a Van Zandt with the exact version of sunburst with the "Cartoon" Yellow center, they call it a 63' 3TB.

Nash does great work. I have a 07', just before he started putting his decal on the Headstock. Some of the stuff I've seen lately by Nash have been really over kill on relic job..maybe its a customer demand thing but I think a nice medium or light job like yours is great.

Thanks guys.... it came in as a light relic from Fender and it looked like crap. Couple rubs here an there, nicks put in it that were all the same shape and size (WTF??). Metal wasn't aged at all....

So I tracked Bill Nash down, talked to him, told him exactly what I wanted and it came back perfect. Lots of checking in the nitro that wasn't there, rubs look much better, etc... he did a really nice job.

Yeah, I've seen some of his current stuff and it is a bit of overkill for me personally.... but since he's cranking out guitars to send to his dealers, think it might have become a matter of quality versus quantity.

I really like the color of it too.... it's very similiar to my real 65 here:

152.jpg

158.jpg

153.jpg

159.jpg

Ha! I just noticed the Ash tray on the bridge. Cool.. Yea, he did a good job on the neck. It looks just like mine. I notice the necks now on Nash guitars are waaaaay too sanded off with the dark grimey look.
I have to agree with you, I don't think Fender does a very good job at their relic model...especially for the price they are going to charge. They should spend more time at the detail because a relic'ing is an art and time and detail must be devoted to it or else..what's the point.. Kudoos to Nash for a saving the day!

marcusnieman said:
Thanks guys.... it came in as a light relic from Fender and it looked like crap. Couple rubs here an there, nicks put in it that were all the same shape and size (WTF??). Metal wasn't aged at all....

So I tracked Bill Nash down, talked to him, told him exactly what I wanted and it came back perfect. Lots of checking in the nitro that wasn't there, rubs look much better, etc... he did a really nice job.

Yeah, I've seen some of his current stuff and it is a bit of overkill for me personally.... but since he's cranking out guitars to send to his dealers, think it might have become a matter of quality versus quantity.

I really like the color of it too.... it's very similiar to my real 65 here:

Here is my Nash ST-57: Teal Green, single ply pickguard, Lollar pups, medium aged

That's very nice. I love nicely reliced or old naturally worn guitars. I don't know why but I don't like them nearly as much new. The addiction seems to be growing :lol:

Dave

Real nice Nash....same tasteful relic work... the rubs on the front and back of yours are just like he did mine..... love that color too.

Yea.. he did a good job. Does Nash still take custom orders from customers via dealers I remember when I ordered mine they said it wasn't a problem but it would take 3 month. Did he stop doing that? I've seen the ones on ebay and they are waaaay over kill..maybe its a demand thing from new guitarists. :p I guess once you see them at Guitar Center..its all over from there :(

Super Locrian said:
Yea.. he did a good job. Does Nash still take custom orders from customers via dealers I remember when I ordered mine they said it wasn't a problem but it would take 3 month. Did he stop doing that? I've seen the ones on ebay and they are waaaay over kill..maybe its a demand thing from new guitarists. :p I guess once you see them at Guitar Center..its all over from there :(

I think he is doing customs but like you said, it has to go thru a dealer....

The whole relic thing is ironic.... we pay to have them beaten up and when we put our first nick in a guitar, it's the end of the world.... :lol: :lol:

Bill is responsible for my T-52 Tele and my #6 LP, which I believe he stopped making. His relicing on LP's just took way too much time and wasnt cost effective. glad I own #6, his T-52 Tele is the best sounding Tele I've ever owned. He has so much work now he doesn't do custom orders any more. A friend of mine told me he would have tied my guitar to the back of his pickup truck and drove around for a week and give it back to me, for free.
It's all about Mojo and Bill is a master at his craft. Last we spoke I believe he was on his last LP, but who knows.

BTW great strat Super Locrian, not familiar with it but it looks great.

Phantom

marcusnieman said:
Super Locrian said:

I think he is doing customs but like you said, it has to go thru a dealer....

The whole relic thing is ironic.... we pay to have them beaten up and when we put our first nick in a guitar, it's the end of the world.... :lol: :lol:

soo true..

Phantom said:
Bill is responsible for my T-52 Tele and my #6 LP, which I believe he stopped making. His relicing on LP's just took way too much time and wasnt cost effective. glad I own #6, his T-52 Tele is the best sounding Tele I've ever owned. He has so much work now he doesn't do custom orders any more. A friend of mine told me he would have tied my guitar to the back of his pickup truck and drove around for a week and give it back to me, for free.
It's all about Mojo and Bill is a master at his craft. Last we spoke I believe he was on his last LP, but who knows.

BTW great strat Super Locrian, not familiar with it but it looks great.

Phantom

THanks.. if you are interested in them check em out

http://www.musicland.co.jp/store/campaign_detail/ikebukuro/4890

The Soul 59 and the twin neck are incredible
especially since they know what BR adn HM is
my kinda guitars

Back