Looking for some help Identifying this Tokai guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandeis

Reaction score
Greetings:

I own a Tokai "Love Rock" guitar --- I think!

As you can see in the pictures, someone seems to have messed with the Love Rock logo on the headstock, so I'm looking for some help verifying the history of the guitar before I list it in the Tokai Registry. It looks like someone traced the words "love rock" by hand, and they blocked out the word "model" - I tried to highlight this on one of the headstock pictures.

The serial number stamped on the headstock is # 5031703, and I think that means it was built in 1985. I looked inside the cavities for the model number with no luck, but found "R. Russell" with what looks like a SS# scratched into the aluminum film of the pick-up selector backing plate!

So, can anyone tell me about this guitar (i.e. year, model, pick-ups, etc)?

The pictures are located here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100378763801244673035/TokaiLesPaul#

Thanks - peter

Looks genuine to me from pics you have posted.
The logo irregularities are probably owner touch ups. The Tokai logo
looks OK.
If the back is 1 piece mahogany it's probably an LS-80
If the back is 2 piece mahogany it's probably an LS-60
If you're pretty sure the back is one piece, just check along the body edge around the bottom for continuous woodgrain, preferably in bright sunlight.
There might also be glue remnants of the 60 or 80 decal visible below the serial number that would confirm the model number.
LS-60 + LS-80 piokups in 1985 would both be Zebra 57 PAF's.
LS-80's would have nitro finish and LS50 + LS-60 poly.
Specs were not strictly adhered to after late 1983 so there are exceptions to above specs and export models are sometimes also graded differently.

Doesn't look to me like it has FEB so I don't think it's an LS80 even though the spec's went off after 84. As it's a plain top export model with the headstock dimple I'd say it's an LS50.

Dave

It looks identical to my 1985 Love Rock.

Mine is definitely one piece back and two piece maple top like that. When looking at the edge you can see the grain is at a 45degree angle acroos the entire edge with no breaks.

...and now I have confirmation that mine is an LS80. Thanks Reborn Old!

Photo0397.jpg

Photo0379.jpg

Photo0387.jpg

Photo0381.jpg

Photo0393.jpg

Hi Barks67,

What year is yours? The joints on the back can be Very hard to see. I think yours is possibly a non-centre seam 3 piece back and again the absence of FEB mean it's an LS50/60. Doesn't mean it's not a great guitar but I still don't think you's or the OPs is an LS80.

Dave

Hi Dave, not sure what FEB means...but the serial number is 50 31058, so that puts it at 1985.

I have looked over the back body extensively and there are no breaks any where.
I can clearly see the wood grain on the end by the binding is not interrupted and it has a prominent thick dark grain at a 45dgree angle all the way round. Also the long grain when looking at the back has a slight angle - ie not parallel with the strap button and the neck heal - across the entire surface.
If its a two-three piece back they have done an incredible job of matching the grain!

here's the headstock:

Photo0395.jpg

Photo0389.jpg

and another of the back to show the grain angle:

Photo0394.jpg

It would just be nice to know as I never recall there being a sticker on it when I bought it in 1990.
It is a great guitar, well used and loved and dragged around many sessions and gigs over the last 20 years. Has Seymour Duncan pups since i bought it too...so I must stress I am not precious about authentic value. This is a quality working instrument fro me - for life.

I do know my Goldstar Strat is a ST 50 though as I bought that in 1987 with sticker! The others on offer if I remember where ST 40 (rosewood cap, but pups had non staggered pole pieces and tuners with plate covers)) ST 50 (mine with staggered pole pieces and Kluson type tunere) and ST55 (Maple neck with same hardware as mine)
I recall there was about a ?20-30 difference between each model respectively.

http://s650.photobucket.com/albums/uu222/katbarks/2%20Tokai%20Guitars/

appreciate the insight though!

barks[/img]

There are reports of stickered LS50s & 60s from 1984/85 with a one piece back. IMO both Brandeis' & Barks67s LPs have a top not interesting enough to be a LS80s. And although possible in 1985, the lack of fret edge binding indicates a LS50/60. Did you test for nitro? LS80 should have a nitro finish.

Hmmm, even more interesting!

What i find curious is that both mine and the OP are 1985 - serials starting with 50 - but mine differs as it has the bell type truss cover. Also the dimple is different.

Does that signify the difference between 50 and 60, and how do you determine nitro or not?

cheers

barks

Yes, Jaccos observations are the same as mine.

That's a beautiful ST50 by the way!

You can check for nitro with acetone (nail varnish remover). It's best to do it in a control cavity or somewhere it won't be seen. Use a cotton wool bud dipped in acetone and see if it starts to dissolve the finish or if the finish becomes tacky. If the finish isn't affected it's poly.

Dave

No, dimple = export guitar. I believe 1985 is the first year of export to the UK, correct me if I'm wrong.

To check for nitro dip a q-tip in acetone and rub it in on a place where it can't do any harm; cavities etc. If it's nitro it should rub off a little or go a little gummy. With a poly finish there's no reaction at all.

Thanks!

Will check the finish and report back, but it seems most likely that this is an LS60 then with a one piece back as Jakko mentions, and its export (to uk) due to the non dimple AND the bell truss cover?

The ST50 is a great guitar (with SD pups too) and also a hardworking instrument... both these guitars are naturally 'reliced"

cheers

Barks

Barks67 said:
Thanks!

Will check the finish and report back, but it seems most likely that this is an LS60 then with a one piece back as Jakko mentions, and its export (to uk) due to the non dimple AND the bell truss cover?

The ST50 is a great guitar (with SD pups too) and also a hardworking instrument... both these guitars are naturally 'reliced"

cheers

Barks

I'm sorry I wasn't clear: dimple = export
Most likely a LS50.

DaveWW said:
Doesn't look to me like it has FEB so I don't think it's an LS80 even though the spec's went off after 84. As it's a plain top export model with the headstock dimple I'd say it's an LS50.

Dave

+1

Sorry, still a little confused.:-?

The OP's guitar headstock has what I see as an "extra" dimple and a diamond truss, whereas mine has one like a Gibson and a bell cover.

As they are both 1985 what is the difference model number wise - or is mine a UK export Model, and the other a US or European export model?

here is mine as posted:

Photo0389.jpg

and OP with extra bit in the dimple:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100378763801244673035/TokaiLesPaul#5578914141639683202

arghhh

barks

Thanks Jakko.

Learned a lot today!

So is the difference between LS50 and 60 most likely plain maple top and flamed maple-veneer top?

cheers

barks

Spec's varied, and it depended as well on the country of purchase etc, plus the catalogues don't list everything but yes for that year LS60 was listed as a flame top.

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai8514.jpg

Dave

Latest posts

Back