Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi New Early/Mid 80's Burny RLG-90 owner here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PosterBoy
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Hi New Early/Mid 80's Burny RLG-90 owner here Reply with quote

Spent some time getting used to it as my other guitars are a Tele and Tyler Burning Water, I had a Gretsch PowerJet which I couldn't bond with so sold it.

I bought the Burny from Japanguitars.co.uk

I'm loving this guitar now I've adjusted to the scale and humbuckers, great neck. Biggest negative is it's not staying in tune particularly well.

So now I'm thinking of Mods

1) Tuners, for this guitar to be used anymore live it's needed.

2) I'm thinking of an RSworks wiring kit (how do people rate the Burny wiring?)

3) Maybe a pickup change, BK Rebel Yells or WCR American Steele again something to be researched more.

Barman
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spent some time getting used to it as my other guitars are a Tele and Tyler Burning Water, I had a Gretsch PowerJet which I couldn't bond with so sold it.

I'm loving this guitar now I've adjusted to the scale and humbuckers, great neck. Biggest negative is it's not staying in tune particularly well.

3) Maybe a pickup change, BK Rebel Yells or WCR American Steele again something to be researched more.

Hi, I'm new here as well!

I almost bought your guitar from Japanguitars.com, but at the last minute I chose the Burny with a Gibson Humbucker in the bridge position instead.

Regarding the mods:

1)DO NOT change the tuners on this baby. They're perfectly good. Most people assume that vintage-style tuners can't stay in tune when they simply don't know how to re-string a Les Paul properly.

The process is vastly different than for a Tele for example.

Have a look at this video and you'll be happy with the stock tuners:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhdxCECcl4&feature=relmfu

If there's no improvement after this, you can try to lubricate the nut because strings may get stuck in there, causing lots of tuning problems.

2)Don't know about the RS kit. I'm satisfied with the Burny wiring, yet I converted it to 50s specs which gives you greater control of the Tone pot. I can also suggest replacing the crappy original capacitors by paper in oil or paper in wax caps. It made a huge difference to my Burny's tone for the better.

3)I changed my pickups for BK PG Blues. Awesome!

This is my RLG90:
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those are nice....
Barman
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I'm looking to buy another one pretty soon. Haven't decided yet if it will be another Burny or an Orville by Gibson.
On one hand I would like something different, and on the other hand I would be pissed if the quality/Price ratio isn't the same on the ObG, and I can't try one before buying it.
rayq78
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi New Early/Mid 80's Burny RLG-90 owner here Reply with quote

PosterBoy wrote:

do not replace the tuning pegs. just avoid excessive wounding of strings. wires are nice also...
3pupLPC
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent logged in for a while.. congrats. Nice one. My RLG-90 is my best sounding LP, I must say. It's not my overall #1 go-to, but it is #1 in pure tone. If you replace the pups, give me a shout, I will buy the stock ones from you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: