Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historic pickup rings on MIJ Tokai?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PonchoGreg
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Historic pickup rings on MIJ Tokai? Reply with quote

Hey peeps!

Got myself a lurvely LS150 over the WE. Very good nick, apart from a crack in the rhythm pickup ring (basically snapped clean in the middle, which I believe is a common occurence on MIJ LPs).

I thought I'd treat her to some nice "historic spec" creme pickup rings from... well... the G brand.

Any of you tried this? Do they fit? I know they come "uncarved", but the apex of the carve on the LS150 is rather flat, so I thought than with a tiny bit of heat on the rings beforehand + gradual adjustments over time it might do the trick...

What do you guys reckon?

Thanks for the help!
BLAM
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to replace the flat pup rings on my (s/h) Gold Top recently acquired as they had both cracked. I initially got hold of a couple of what I think were authentic curved Gibson Rings but they didn't quite fit -the screw holes didn't quite line up- but the curved AllParts ones I bought the other day do and are a fairly decent match with the pickguard and binding as well.
PonchoGreg
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I actually just ordered some allparts curved ones... The color seems decent, and I wasn't quite ready to blow 25+ quid on two bits of plastic...

I'll see how they fit and if I'm not feeling the match, maybe I'll man up and buy the Gibby ones!
PonchoGreg
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's the lowdown...

Got some cheap curved Allparts ones: color was nice, a tad too yellow but nice. Very hard plastic, no give at all. Problem: they actually were way too curved for the LS150 top. Basically the apex of the carve doesn't follow a straight curve pattern - it's more like an almost flat surface with smooth drops on either sides.

The Allparts fitted in terms of screws placement, but the gap in the middle was too damn fugly.

I therefore went with the original plan and ordered some Gibbo Historic specs (dead flat). Bit of an expensive bet, but hey...

Turns out they fit like a glove. The plastic is quite flexible, therefore I had nothing else to do but gently screw them and they followed the top carve to a T.

So for anyone looking to replace the rings on a similar Tokai, I'd recommend them. Definitely not cheap, but good quality and nice color to boot (less pinkish/fleshy than the original Tokai rings).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: