Black beauty - early 80's?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the Les Paul

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110643046138&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I've found this one:
Correct Gibson-style split diamond logo, VH-4 pickups (but the seller claims they are VH1s), 45 degree pointer washers, left side routing channel (Matsomoku?)... and a neck joint similar to Tokais. All points to the early-mid '80s. But I've only seen split diampond Burnys with the typical medium tenon joint from this era, so maybe its one of the earliest Custom models?
Is it all mahogany?
What's the neck shape on 80s Burny Customs? All of them are slim 60s type?

Good eye, that's indeed a 1982-1984 model.
Factory is unknown. Not Matsumoku for they were using the long square tenon with bolt to at least 1984 & they didn't do the 'correct' diagonal wire routing like this.
From what I've seen Matsumoku did make RLC60s and RLG50s for a very short time during 1981/1982. There's also late 70s Terada customs, so no not the earliest custom type out there.
This one has a maho body & top and the neck shape the 1982-1984 RLC is indeed slim 60s.

Be careful buying things from Yuma - her photos can be misleading. And if you want more she says she can never get them. I got a Burny plaintop from her for a good price about a year ago, but there was a 2 inch surface crack on the neck which I had to get fixed to the tune of 125.00. Crack had gone under the binding and was at the fretboard. On that Custom, what is up with the neck pickup cover?

F-09.jpg

cashcow said:
Be careful buying things from Yuma - her photos can be misleading. And if you want more she says she can never get them. I got a Burny plaintop from her for a good price about a year ago, but there was a 2 inch surface crack on the neck which I had to get fixed to the tune of 125.00. Crack had gone under the binding and was at the fretboard. On that Custom, what is up with the neck pickup cover?

F-09.jpg

pickups might be replaced... or out of shape... on the neck

Latest posts

Back